Lacygne Lake Hot Water Outlet

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dlbenthusen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dlbenthusen

dlbenthusen New Member

State:
    Louisburg, Kansas
    Has anyone started catching the flatheads yet at the outlet. was thinking about setting some jugs or trout lines april 18th. Had some people tell me this month is when they come in to spawn in the hotwater.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Not sure about the flatheads, but I don't think you can fish jugs on Lacygne. The trotline should be ok.

Edit: The outlet area is awfully busy for a trotline though.

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I echo what Gary said watch out using jugs in Kansas as they are illegal.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Not entirely illegal though, there is a restricted trial program..

http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Fishing-Regulations/New-for-2009
    "FLOATLINE FISHING

* Floatline fishing will be allowed during daylight hours from July 15 through Sept. 15 at Hillsdale, Council Grove, Tuttle Creek, Kanopolis, John Redmond, Toronto, Wilson, and Pomona reservoirs. Anglers will be allowed no more than eight floatlines or eight setlines (with no more than two hooks attached to each line) or one trotline with no more than 25 hooks attached. Each trotline, setline, tip-up, floatline and unattended fishing line shall have a tag or label securely attached, designating the name and address of the operator. No trotline, floatline or setline shall be set within 150 yards of any dam. All floatlines must be under immediate supervision of the angler and must be removed from the water when fishing ceases. Material used for floats are restricted to “closed cell” devices made of plastic, wood, or foam; metal or glass floats are not allowed. Closed-cell floats do not hold water. A floatline permit (available for $2.50) will be required. This is three-year pilot program."

5. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Gary. I didn't know anything about that. Seems like it wouldn't be worth all the hassle for $2.50. How many permits can they possibly except to sell? And how much would it cost to enforce it? :confused2:

6. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    I've fished the outlet by boat, used shrimp as bait, fished the bottom and had lots of channel cats. Lots of fun!

7. dlbenthusen

dlbenthusen New Member

State:
    Louisburg, Kansas
    So does anyone know anything about how the catfishing is at the outlet? I got the permit thing down with the jugs and trout lines.

But does anyone fish for cat's there. If so when would be a good time to go for the flat heads.

8. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Don, I have done not very good there just a few eaters I was bank fishing and the walk is not worth eaters to me as I let 99 percent of my fish go.

Are you going to be bank or boat fishing??

9. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thinkin about giving the hot water outlet a shot this week. Never fished it before, gonna take the whole tackle box and try for cats, bass, stripers, and everything else in between.

Any suggestions about the area (any species)? About all I know is that the ducks go sit by the outlet when the marshes freeze up during duck season :smile2:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Take your throw net. Usually youll get bluegill and/or shad. Hook them up live and put them right back out there. Otherwise throw jigs, and youll catch wipers and whites. Should be pretty good there right now. :cool2:

11. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Isnt catching gills with a castnet illegal in KS?

I've never been out by where the water gets let out, only on the north end of the lake scouting for ducks. I'm sure there will be some structure or somethin in that area to key on. Guess I better figure out how to fix the interference on my fish finder....and get a bigger net :smile2:

Man Keith, seems like you've fished about every conceivable body of water within 3 hrs of KC!

12. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yes it is Illegal:tounge_out::wink:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    “Bait fish may be taken for noncommercial purposes by the following methods: seine not larger than 15 feet long and four feet deep, with mesh not larger than one-fourth inch; fish trap with mesh not larger than one-fourth inch and throat no larger than one inch in diameter (must be tagged with fisherman's name and address); fishing line; or a dip or cast net with mesh no larger than three-eighths of an inch. Bait fish may not exceed 12 inches, and the possession limit is 500 per person. The taking of bait fish is allowed statewide, except that seining is prohibited on department-owned waters. Unless exempt by law, a fishing license is required.”

“Bait fish: Minnow or carp family (Cyprinidae), sucker family (Catostomidae), top minnows or killifish family (Cyprinodontidae), shad family (Clupeidae), sunfish family (Centrarchidae), excluding black basses and crappie, which may be used only if caught by hook and line. Bait fish exclude any of those fishes specifically named by regulation as Kansas threatened or endangered species.”

I don't usually catch my gills by castnet, but I don't think it's a problem.

14. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I think they need to explain bait better.

Are bluegills in the sunfish family??

As they have them listed as sport fish here.

Can I use a cast net to catch sport fish?

No, any type of net is illegal for taking sport fish.

Sport fish: Northern pike, walleye, sauger, saugeye, yellow perch, striped bass, white bass, wiper (white bass/striped bass hybrid), black bass ( largemouth, spotted, and smallmouth), trout, channel catfish, blue catfish, flathead catfish, paddlefish, and panfish ( bullhead, black and white crappie, bluegill, redear sunfish, green sunfish, warmouth, and rock bass).

15. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    its so much easier to catch them on hook and line

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, they do seem to contradict themselves. :confused2:

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I was under the impression that you could catch them in a net.
    They do make it confusing.:confused2:
    Who really knows.:tounge_out: They would have to catch you in the act to charge you with it, if in fact it is illegal.
    Unless they inspect the fish for really small hook holes.:smile2:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    So did we clear that up for you Kevin? :smile2::sad2:

19. channelcatdrew

channelcatdrew New Member

State:
    Olathe,KS
    i was told by a game warden while i was fishing at hillsdale that you cant keep bluegill if you catch them in your net. he said only shad. its to confusing for me. i'll just used night crawler or cricket iunder a bobber.

20. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    They have made the law confusing. Bluegills are members of the sunfish
    family. They are often considered baitfish. I think they want folks to
    avoid keeping netted crappie and bass. I don't think they are certain
    whether they want bluegills to have the same protection. The regulations
    should be rewritten so that they are more clear but they have been
    worded this way as long as I can remember. Makes you wonder if they
    made the law that way so that they could limit the number of people
    netting bluegills for sale to flathead fishermen? Just seems to be sloppy
    law making made sacred by preceedence over time.