Lacon, on the Illnois river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by whitewhiskers, Mar 24, 2006.

1. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    gonna be workin in wenona for about 3 weeks and looking at a campsite at the Marshall state fish n wildlife area. anybody fish in this area? or know of any other campgrounds close to Wenona? i've done a serch on the pewter but there's always others not listed, thanx for any help.WW.

2. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    That is in southern La Salle County. I do fish the Illinois alot but not real sure about the Lacon area. If you wanna hit the river in La Salle about 30 min drive for ya let me know. Also if you like country listen to 102.1. I hear they got a pretty good DJ named Cowboy in the morning. LOL.

3. elmer

elmer New Member

State:
    Illinois

I USED to listen to that station ALL the time. That cowboy dude was a RIOT.
    Seems lately he mellowed out some and fell into a routine of sorts. If anyone ever sees or hears from the ole cowboy, tell em Elmer sez whats up, and that alot of people miss the "ole" goof ! ;)

4. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Whitewhiskers, there's a quarry north of Lacon, maybe 2 miles (if that) where they allow camping. It's a nice spot, it's connected to the Illinois river, but it doesn't have anything whatsoever. Primitive camping only. I think there's a shack at the entrance that sells bait, but that's it. Used to be $3 a day to stay there.
    There's also a campground at Cornell called Bayou Bluffs. It's about the same distance from Wenona as Lacon is ( 20 miles), only it's east. It sits right on the Vermilion river. They do have bathrooms and showers there.
    There's the Illini campground at Marseilles (State Park) but that's 46 miles from Wenona. It sits right on the Illinois river and you can fish from some of the campsites.
    Rat

5. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Thanx guy's, Rat that one on the Vermillion sounds good gonna tryin find out more about it.Marshall is supposed to open up on the 1st of april cant get anybody on the phone yet n it might be a little farther to drive than i want too. should be workin 7/12 r 7/10 out there. but i always make time to fish!

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    tried to contact Bayou Bluffs no answer, still early i guess. on a serch i think they said they open May 1st, i'll keep tryin.

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Get hold of Gary Spencer in Chillicothe. He knows that river from Peoria north. Probably the camp grounds too. I bought a Tracker II from him and he and I worked together for many a year. Just tell him Chuck said to get hold of him. He's got one of those monsterous jon boats too. Might even take you fishin.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Just remembered. There is one real nice campground right on the river just south of US150 on US24 on the east side of the river. Has good boat ramp, all hookups available. I think there is even a laundromat there. Can't remember the name of it though. Less than a mile from 150 tho

9. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    got home the other nite, stayed at the Marshall fish n wildlife campground just south of Lacon, ol'boy name of Charles ran it as campground host, great ol'guy. it was a 24mi. drive to work at Wenona but when i caught that first 15lb channel i knew it was worth the drive.altogether i guess i caught around50 channels n one nice 17lb blue, had enough fillets to give away n fill my camper freezer n eat till i bout popped! met alota nice folks over there wish all my workin trips were half as good.buddy at work turned me on to cookin them on my George Forman grill with pepper lemon sesonin it was great wanted to go home n slap my momma!. i was usin nitecrawlers n freash shad from the throw net. can't wait to go back to that job maybe in june i think. thankes fer the heads up n advice guy's