Lackluster effort

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    With all of these new reports, I was fired up and back in the saddle Sunday evening. Unfortunately 4.5 hours of fishing only yielded a 3lb blue. (Probably not too bad since I fish strictly for sturgeon now.....at least that's my story.) Caught it in the only area I marked fish......and I scoured a lot of that river. Fished ledges and dikes in water from 15 to 40 feet. Those buggers are certainly eluding me.

I did manage to slam into a nice tree at about 20 mph. It shook me up pretty good, but I don't think there was any damage done. At least my lower unit is still there..... I guess time will tell if there is something else going on.

I need someone to post a positive report to recharge the juices.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Where did you go Greg? I'm assuming that ya'll headed to the MP in Alton,

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well I whent out after work today and found a new bait spot during high water. It was the promise land! 1 throw and I had a net full of the jumbo shad, 4 bluegill, and an asian. Got out to the Miss at about 6:30 marked alot of fish in the channel in about 35 ft to 25 ft. Was by myself so couldnt anchor out there whent scouting the dikes and realized I was just about out of gas.:crazy: Well I picked a wing dike that came closest to the channel that was closest to me and set up for about an hour and a half. Had 5 bites caught one blue that was an albino I guess. It was my first one and it weighed 12 lbs. Just got one of those Coffey scales today and they are impressive, I just need to sharpen the hook and catch something to put a strain on it:big_smile:

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Way to go Ryan! Where did you head out to? I'm definately going Wednesday I just don't know where just yet!

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Put in at Flam City on the meremac and headed out to the Miss. Whent south and fished around Kimswick above Hoppys marina. I saw alot of fish moving through the channels. Marked some big ones sitting in some up and downs but couldnt anchor out there by myself in that straight line current.

Good luck out there Bill. The bites I had tonight were all on 3/4 of a shad. The asian didnt get touched. I found the fish on the dike in around 35ft on a ledge. Not that one 12 lber is a pattern:tounge_out:

6. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    stlcatman...where do you look for shad when the water is up? I fish the Missouri a lot but when the water is up I can not even find shad in Bouef Creek where I always find shad...

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I found a creek that has a waterfall coming into the back of it and it was loaded with bait. It is just one of those places when the water is up that it will hold the bait. When the water was downt there for a while I had a hard time myself. I could catch the little shad but not the big ones.

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Dave, up river from beuf creek is Smith creek. It would be on the right going toward hermann. Or the power plant at labadie usually has shad somewhere around it. Are you putting in at Hermann or Washington?

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Was that the hole you told me about Ryan or did you find a new one on the Mississippi?

10. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    No this is a new one Mike. I am having a hard time finding the larger shad in all of my other spots, but this one came through again tonight. Set up on a new hole i found tonight and it was on. Only had a couple hours to fish but they are biting. Threw my three poles out and as I sat down the first one whent off and I brought the fish to the boat and the other rod whent off so I tried to pull the first fish in it was about 25 lbs and the circle hook pulled loose??? Grabbed the second one and boated it when I saw that my third rod had a fish on it. The first fish to make it on board was 11 1/2 lbs and the second was 12. Released the two fish and set the poles again and my inside rod hit the water and started screaming, I picked it up and it was a heavy fish that I couldnt turn. He took me down into the tree at the back of the hole and I could feel him roll a couple of times but then he was gone. I know he was a big fish but I couldnt do anything with him and he knew where to go. I cant wait to try this spot again it has a little bit of everything in it. All of the fish caught and lost came on shad heads and middle sections, no fillets. They were the larger shad, had some small ones on that didnt get touched. Bite was over as soon as it began and I had to head back in. All in all it was a great night out on the water.

Attached Files:

11. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Sounds like a good time! Doesn't sound like you had much time to just enjoy yourself though. Those fish were keeping you busy. That had to be annoying. :wink:
    I always try to have at least an hour or 10 to just sit and enjoy the river without those pesky fish bothering me. LOL! JK! Makes me want to get out there. Let me know if you ever need an anchor buddy. :smile2:

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    LMAO! I will Dan, Its not as fun when you are out there by yourself. But I have definately had plenty of time enjoying the river in the past few months and I was ready for some interuptions:smile2:

13. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    way to go Ryan. I guess you will be sending a pm to me to let me know where the spot is.

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    looks like you found a nice hole ryan, cant wait to get out there again.
    keep the storys and fish coming. :big_smile:

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Good job Ryan! :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    way to go man! i've been lookin for a hole around here that holds fish like that!

17. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice work Ryan. Sounds like you had a hoot. Enjoy this hot bite as much as you can. That water temp is going to drop another 10 degrees in the next month or so and then they will get TOUGH to find. Great job on finding the fish, and puttin it on em. Sorry you lost a pig. You'll get em next time.

18. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks guys, I whent out again last night and that spot that Bill was talking about has some of the biggest shad, I think they are pumping steroids through those pipes. Thanks for the directions to the honey hole bait spot Bill. Well I set up on the first spot and in about 10 min had one on and it came off, then caught an 8 lb blue. The next fish loaded the rod up, I picked up the pole and he surged and then nothing. I stayed there a little longer with no bites move into another spot and had one take it down, fought him for 2 min and he got off. I have no idea what is going on. I checked my hooks and retied new ones. They are 8/0 gamagatsu circle hooks that are brand new and sharp as hell. These fish are setting the hook on the take and then getting off. I am not setting the hook or jerking the rod so I have no Idea. One theory of mine is that in this deeper water I do notice that the line is getting wrapped up on itself with all of the swirling water. I am using no roll weights with a bead and a swivel with a short leader. That is the only thing I can think of. But when the fish take it and I bring it back up the line is not wrapped up on itself?????? I may just have to go to J hooks and rip some lips!!!

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I had the same probs with the circles. I dont use em anymore. I've had much much better success with the Gamakatsu Octupus hooks, 9 ott or larger. If I remember correctly Ryan, your fishing rods are fairly heavy actions. Circle Hooks, Heavy Action Rods, and using Power Pro is not a good combination in my opinion. Circles work on leverage, and with a heavy duty set up, their is no give anywhere in the system. The fish feels the weight of the setup before leverage can cause the hook to do its thing and the fish spits it out. Your only having them on for a short period of time because they are holding on to the bait, then realizing something aint kosher, then they are dropping it. As for your swivels, what kind are you using Ryan? I use the number 1 and number 2 SPROS and I dont have any problems at all with line twist. They are a little expensive compared to other swivels, but it virtually eliminates line twist problems. You can also help out the line twist cause a little by "tight lining" your weight to the bottom of the river, and not letting it freefall which causes the weight to go down, and the bait to go up wrapping itself on your leader. When you cast out, immediatley lock down your bail when the bait hits the water and reel in a few turns. This will keep your bait downstream of your sinker and it will be a controlled decent to the bottom with no line twist. Hope it helps a little.

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thanks Cuz that does make a lot of sense. The swivels I use are heavy barrel swivels. They work well everywhere but in that deep water. I think you pinpointed the problem though. In that deep water I am letting that weight get above the bait and that is causing it.

Now for the loosing of the fish. Ed and I whent out yesterday and had a good time. I brought in every fish that I hooked and had three bites that didn't produce. Well I will let Ed tell it when he gets up but we did manage to bump up his new PB and match his old one. :big_smile::big_smile: As for me I think I am going to head back out for a little bit today.