Lack of Rain = Lack of Oxygen

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kickin_wing, Jul 24, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It has been so dry for the past 2 or 3 years here in IL that my pond and many other ponds are several feet low. The other day in the mourning the big fish in my pond were in the shalow water gasping for oxygen. One big 6 lb bass was dead. The pond is so low the fish have a hard time getting oxygen especialy in the mourning because the water is so still. I guess the only thing i can do is catch or net up the big fish, have a fish fry, and pray for rain.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Man that sucks sorry to here that.

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Its not the lack of rain that is causing your problem, its the heat. The shallower the pond gets the less depth there is to keep the fish at a safe temp level, and less oxygen to use. So once the water warms up too much it will cause the water to become too hot for the fish to withstand and they will start croaking left and right. Its just like a fish tank, if your heater malfunctions and doesnt shut off it will kill all your fish. Our local ponds have a open run in from the local creek to keep the water levels up and the water cooler.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good answer I would have to agree

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I would say its a combination of both factors. Keep in mind if you put to many minnows in a minnow bucket what happens? The oxygen level will not support the number of fish in the bucket and they die. But yes heat is also a contributing factor. The mid west needs a LOT of rain and soon!:crazy:

6. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Warmer water = less dissolved oxygen. It's a combination of several factors resulting in very poor oxygen content. As the water warms it loses it's capacity to hold dissolved oxygen. Combined with the lack of natural aeration (wind, rain, current) it's pretty much a disaster.

7. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The mourning time is when the oxygen level is the lowest because it is so still all night, there needs to be a little wind to stur up the water and put oxygen in it. We are tryin to help them out a little by putting a pump in the water early every mourning and getting some oxygen in the water. But we need rain and some days that arent so darn hot. I think they will make it though, at least most of them.

8. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    How deep are the water wells in your area? The company i work for has drilled several water wells for just the pond. it helps keep the pond full,cooler and helps interduce oxygen in the water. just a thought. could run you a few thousand

9. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We have a problem in Louisiana which is called a turn over.Thats when the oxygen in the bottom of the ponds or creeks rises to the top leaving none in the bottom and kills the fish by the hundreds.I have seen Bocau where you could load up ice chest just by dipping a fish net because all the fish were at the top gasping and then going belly up...

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My sis in law put a 220 airator in her pond. Has 2 lava looking stones hooked up to it. No dead fish as of yet.
    Bill

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It does sound good to drill a well but dont have money to spend on that.Havent had any more fish die i think because we have been having some cooler nights.