Lack of DFG enforcement and other overfishing issues.

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by StankBait, Dec 16, 2009.

1. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    I hear ya TOM illegal immigration is a whole issue altogethor but is related to alot to illegal fishing.

Lack of education and participation in buying licenses and fishing legally is what the bottom line is .
    I see good ol boys hauling out 10 trout in 2 limit waters as well. :wink:

Lack of enforcement is also a key issue. They take lots of money for a license and give minimal DFG ranger support.
    I want people to get fined and arrested for poaching. Not having an extra hook or something tedious, but blantant keeping of small fish and poaching should result in arrest.

Any one call Cal Tip before?? I hear its a very spotty response.

2. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    We have the one of the highest cost in Fishing License in the country; where is all that money going to? How about stocking programs, don't see that as often as before.

Jaime

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    It is because the state is broke. Mismanagement of funds and misallocations is the what has plaqued California for years now.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I was going to say that we have cal tip.... yea, I did that before for the viet problem and over take on bonita here locally....

The striper tag is another mis use of sticker money...

5. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    Ray - I hear they are dropping the tag starting '10.
    No "Bay Delta Enhancement" or striper tag will be needed......

Bluehunter - You are right on. You should see what they are doing in PA to enhance the steelhead fishery, with their funds.
    Nice parking lots, fish cleaning stations, creating habitat, and stocking . Ever see steelhead stacked up like wood in a creek?????
    I have , but you never will in CA.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well they don't call the govenor "terminator" for nothing:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink:

7. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    We do pay a lot of money for our licenses.
    http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html
    Here is a link to the costs of the license and stamps. Looks pretty much the same as last year, without the delta stamp. Colorado River still 3 bucks. It sure does seem like a lot of money being taken with average fishing at best in return. I know there are a lot of people who keep small fish or too many fish and it kills the fishing for the rest of us and it hurts the kids fishing experience. California DFG really needs to step its game up big time!!!!!!!

8. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    I personally think Calif. has better than average fishing, at least it has been for me, I`ve lived in all three regions of this state and I fish alot, could`nt think of living anywhere else, sometimes you have to pay a little more to live in the best state in the country.....Heck I`m 50 and I`ve gotten PB`S in 6 different species in the last 2 years..... I do agree that the DFG has to do a better job, but then again, I think their hands are tied.......:confused2:

9. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    I think when we all out fishing i know if i see guys take striper that is too small at the aqueduct i tell them too throw them back thats why we hurnting now from all this taking stripers,strugeon catfish and carp and others too.

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dont ya state publish how much money was taken in and where it was spent. Every year here in mo Our conservation Department publishes what is spent and where. 75% of it min goen on game and fish managment. The other 25% is used for other things related. It dont go to pay for other state programs. We got good fishing and hunting and tons of public land and water. Ya build a pond they help with free stocking ect. You the sportsmen have to petition and look @ other states and how things are managed. And call your fish and game on the red carpet to get things changed for the better.

11. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Our state is doing other things with the money like going to partys flying around the world, they should be putting the money back in to the system and help out fish and game I talk to one of the ranger and he told me and my wife that there are not enough of them to go around some places u can fish like two or three days without seeing them come by and people just keep the small ones, and if they get alot of them them they take off before he do come around.

12. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Troy, Missouri MDC is one of the best if not the best in the nation. The main reason for this is the people of Missouri voted in a 1/2% sales tax that goes to the MDC in the early 80's, that is the reason for the report that you metioned, it's not just sportsmen that pay the bill through permit fees ... the whole state does, sprotsmen and non-sportsmen alike. I was astounded when I look at the post on Ca. fishing permit fees.... that's four times the price we pay...one other thing I'd like to mention, that 1/2% sales tax is in a lock box only for the MDC.....the politicians can't touch it.....Thank Goodness!

13. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    California is probably the most beautiful state to live in. It has everything you can think of, but to me the fishing situation is a little suspect. I lived in Montana before and fishing was EXCELLENT. We fished for trout and pike up north even catfish. Unless you own a boat, the fishing in California overall is definitely not the greatest(except Clear Lake and the Colorado River). I know Katfish J you beg to differ, but there is just way too many rules and regs for us bank-fishermen. Every time I turn around something else is closed off and you can no longer fish there. And sometimes when you do go somewhere there are a bunch of other people around fishing too. There's places in other states that the rivers themselves are their own hatchery. Right now they are talking about closing off a very large portion of the Sac River to sturgeon fishing, period. What about salmon? I LOVE Cali, but there is not enough DFG's out there and way too many poachers. And the hunting is a joke, where do you find a nice buck these days?

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I love California...... We have the best grapes round:smile2::wink:

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    come on guys. i lived for too many yrs in ca. why do you think i moved out of state. it sucks!!!!!! they don't like the fishermen or women, they do like the gays, pot smokers, illigals, and anything else that costs the citizens money. it's a nice place to visit. pretty in the northern portion of state for sure.
    but it's the biggest esperimental state in the US.. besides, you guys are gonna get that big quake and sink into ocean and give me beach front property.
    gary:tounge_out:

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I don't care.... As long as I can grow my garden.... I am fine:wink: We'll as long as the homo's leave me alone:crazy::smile2:

No seriously, ever state has there chit.... I am proud to be a "California Boy":wink:....Hey..... Leave us cannabis smokers alone:smile2:

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    robb, never regretted my time in ca, just the way the state is ran. far as the mary jane (figure my age now, LOL) i'd do if legal for me.
    but i just can't see having to pay to fish all the time. (i was in san diego area). i'm in yuma now and have actual wild fish here. not those pond raised ones. can buy a fishing AND hunting licence for same as you pay for fishing license. but i did have lots of fun and miss fishing the canals around calexico very much.
    gary

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yea, the regulations suck! I am for education.... I pass out BOC cards every chanch I get. Hopefully folks will join up to groups like ours. This way I/we can educate people on our Envirnment. I don't need no liberal idiot to teach us/them on CPR and all. We can't rely on our governmnt no more.... Specially in our state. I take it upon myself to educate folks as best I can. In our area which is hundred of miles, only 2 DFG are assinged. They know me and Sean as the "Catfish Club Guys"...lol. They dont even ask for anything. They just bull shit with us for a bit. Seen em at our Thanksgiving gathering. I can say they have been policing Mendota Slough ,more now than ever before then I can remember.

19. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Thanks Gary......I needed that laugh. We'll have a beer over it in Blythe.:wink::smile2:

Robb, the only reason the DFG went out there was for the duckhunters. They were making their presence felt for awhile this year, but with the cutbacks from the state you rarely see them anymore. Used to be a bunch of them, now just the 2 for the whole area. And you know people are down at the slough as we speak catching illegal stripers.

20. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    I am going to post up a article here on the stamp and why it was removed and why our dfg is in the shape it is in.

Beginning Jan. 1, north state anglers no longer will have to spend $6.30 to fish legally in the Sacramento River below Keswick Dam.
    Earlier this fall, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law a bill that repealed the Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp, which according to a 2008 state audit had generated $8.6 million since its inception in 2004.
    The move to repeal the stamps comes after an audit found that much of the money in the stamp fund wasn't being spent at all or was diverted to salaries or programs that did little to help sport fishing.
    The stamp, purchased in addition to a regular fishing license (which will cost $41.50 in 2010) was required to fish below the rivers' lowest dams in any waterway that fed into the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta and San Francisco Bay.
    The original intent of the stamp was to help sport fishing opportunities for game species like black bass, trout, salmon, sturgeon, halibut, striped bass and steelhead.
    But the same sport fishing groups that lobbied to have the stamp made into law in the first place led the charge to kill it.
    "We had supported the concept of the stamp because we wanted to help the fish - that's the bottom line," said John Beuttler, Conservation Director for the California Sportfishing Protection Alliance, who also sat on the stamp's advisory board. "But the money that was appropriated was spent ... on programs that really didn't help the fish that much."
    There were some projects funded through the program that benefited north state anglers, most notably $40,500 allocated to the Turtle Bay Boating and Fishing Access Facility, which underwent improvements in 2007.
    Some $203,500 from the fund also has been allocated to boating and fishing access improvements at South Bonnyview Road boat ramp, but none of that money has been spent yet.
    Some $3.7 million has been allocated since the program's inception, but just $1.7 million has been spent, according to the Department of Fish and Game.
    Under the new law that repealed the stamp, the remaining funds in the account not already earmarked for other projects will be divvied out to fishing-related programs.
    Assembly Bill 1052, authored by Anna Caballero, D-Salinas, passed the Assembly unanimously in September; all but one senator voted for it in the California Senate.
    The bill had support from both Sen. Sam Aanestad, R-Grass Valley, and his north state counterpart in the Assembly, Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber.
    Caballero's spokeswoman Catalina Martinez said the assemblywoman was approached by fed-up sport fishing groups upset that the fees weren't being spent as originally intended.
    The goal of the law was to "see the Department of Fish and Game use this money instead of just collecting the fee from fishermen without seeing any results," Martinez said.
    The law mandates that the DFG set up a grant program for the remaining funds and post the approved projects on its Web site.
    It will take about three fiscal years to approve projects and divvy up the money left in the account, said Harry Morse, a DFG spokesman.
    Accountability provisions in the bill fall in line with recommendations the California State Auditor made in a report released last year, said Terry Foreman, the DFG's fisheries program manager.
    The audit found, among other issues:
    The DFG's use of the money collected from fish stamp sales had been limited.
    The stamp's advisory committee lagged in identifying and approving projects.
    As of June 30, 2008, the fish stamp account had an unspent balance of more than $7 million, much of that committed to approved projects that have not yet been funded.
    Fish and Game does not have an accurate accounting of either its administrative expenditures or individual project expenditures for the fish stamp program.
    Periodic reports Fish and Game provided to the advisory committee didn't include all the required information.
    Between 2005 and 2008, the DFG spent an estimated $201,000 in fish stamp funds on payroll costs and goods and services unrelated to fishing programs.
    Beuttler said that much of the stamp board's frustration was aimed at the high overhead costs associated with the program, as well as funds being diverted.
    About a quarter of the fund went to employees or other expenses associated with running the program, he said.
    That won't change as the program moves forward, Foreman said.
    Twenty-eight percent of the funds remaining in the stamp fund will continue to go toward overhead expenses like paying for facilities, salaries and state administrative costs, according to the DFG.
    Foreman said such expenses in state programs are standard. Some programs pay up to 35 percent overhead.
    "We're just happy we don't have to spent the extra 7 (percent)," Foreman said.
    At least one north state fishing guide is happy the stamp has been repealed if the funds weren't going back to fishing programs, as intended.
    Kirk Portocarrero, a Sacramento River fishing guide, said the stamp was an inconvenience for many of his clients who arrived in the area at night with hopes of fishing the next morning.
    Though most outdoor-supply stores carried fishing licenses, many didn't carry the stamp, leaving clients scrambling to find it, he said.
    Despite that inconvenience, Portocarrero said he supported the original intentions that led to the stamp's creation.
    "If it went toward saving the salmon, I would be totally for it again," he said.