Lack of Current a factor for night fishing on the Tennessee River???

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Knoxcats, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm curious. I haven't been able to get out near as much as I normally do, but I'm a firm beliver that you might as well not even go if TVA is not generating. The two upper lakes (Ft. Loudon and Watts Bar) a typical generation schedule has been from noon until 9 or 10pm, which is just a bit after dark here in the eastern time zone.

With no water flow, how has the nightime catfishing been? Would like to hear your reports and opinions, especially in East TN. Thanks.

David
    Knoxville TN
    2006 Carolina Skiff 198DLV / Suzuki DF90

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No firsthand experience in the area, but the fish have to be eating somtime! Might as well get out there and catch them

3. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I usually won't even go unless they are generating. I prefer 2 or more gens. running at the upstream and downstream dams because I love fishin' the current. The last night trip I did was great, but there were 2 gens. running all night from the upstream dam.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Why no go anyway and try different tactics or presentations. Try fishing cut baits without weights. It could trigger strikes you might not normally get.

5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know below Pickwick, if the gens are off it makes it very difficult to catch blues. The channel cats will bite and I have fished for flats during this time. I prefer to fish current even if it is one gen running. You might be able to find a feeder creek that is pushing water and fish there.

6. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is my first post here at Catfish1.com. But I have been cat fishing since I was 6 and I’m now 61 . I fish commercially and now I fish with rod and reel . I fish around MM 95.6 at old Johnsonville and I have found this for sure . If Kentucky dam is spilling from 48000 to 51000 feet per sec or what ever is it (cubic feet per sec) you better load the boat ,drop what ever you are doing and get to lake quick. They don’t pull that way often. You will load up on the pretties white cat you have ever seen.
    I’m headed to the river in the morning no matter if they are pulling weeds.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC, Philip!

8. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks for the welcome guys. I think I am really going to enjoy this club. As I said before I've been catfishing since I was 6, My daddy was a commercial fisherman and I also . BUT now I only rod and reel catfish... You never know when the next bite will weigh 50 lbs..

9. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Philip!
    With your 60 years of experience we welcome your imput anytime:wink:

10. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    We catch fish regardless of the flow but with no flow you have to move around and work a bit harder.

11. kat crazy

kat crazy New Member

State:
    tenn.
    ha this kat crazy in up river where we toms creek and deer greek cats still have eggs in them . water is not being move here to .p s. kat crazy

12. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I prefer current, of course. But I'm not going to let "no flow" stop me from going when I can. We're lucky in Chattanooga. TVA is required to maintain a minimum flow through Chickamauga Dam for the downstream sewage treatment plant. So we will just about always have a little moving water, especially in tailwaters. But I what Cheez said, low or no flow just forces you to hunt harder. But they'll still eat.

13. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Philip welcome to the BOC. You can take what Richard and Cheez say to heart. They are some very successful catters here in the Chattanooga area. I hope to get to spend time with both of them sometime to learn the tricks.

I as well don't worry about current as much as I probably should, but hey a bad day on the lake still ain't a bad day at all. Spent Sunday with my wife and a friend of ours from about 7 in the evening until 3:30 in the am. We didn't catch anything, but got a few good hits. Still it was a wonderful day. Some people fishing just up from us caught a few nice fish. I guess I still need to learn a little more to get better.

14. tnsojaman

tnsojaman New Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    So if TVA is not moving much water, then the cats seem not to feed as much? I would guess that is because there is not as much food stuff being stirred up or chopped up coming through the turbines and being washed downstream? Is that right? I learn something new everyday on here!! :wink:

15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Chuck my theory for the increased activity when there is more flow is simply oxygen. I believe that the increased flow creates more oxygen in the water and starts the baitfish to moving more and the chain reaction ensues. This is just a personal theory of my own based on aquarium observations and a little experience fishing.

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I watched people fishing the same water I was last weekend and I'm curious as to what depth, presentation, and bait is working the best right now. I used shiners and night crawlers with no luck. I plan on taking the last skip I have later when I take a friend and his son. I don't so much care about myself, but would like to put the boy on a few fish.

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Welcome to the BOC I am like you. Fished for a living and my dad and his dad fished the river here below Pickwick dam. They fished all there lives. That or musseling.
    I love the current, They turn it up most go home. The better it gets the more I smile. I love fishing the current as the fish bite better and bunches them up better.
    Pete