Labradoodle?

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by gonecatn, Jan 27, 2008.

1. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    I was reading the paper this morning and saw this in the classifieds. I thought it was a joke like ol Jake gettin out of his kennel and running over to the neighbors and doing little Fifi (which is probably how this breed got started). My question is, are these a good hunting dog? I never heard of them before.

Attached Files:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dan: Saw a lot of dogs in my practice, but not any lab-Poodle crosses deliberated crosses. But I will tell you what. I think they would be an excellent cross.

Poodles, standard, are hard-wired to hunt. That is, genetically the origination of the breed was for flushing and retrieval. That is what they were bred to do. The poodle haircut started back in 1600 to give them better abilities to hunt field, not to walk down Madison Avenue with some rich witch hanging on.

One of the best dogs I have hunted over and behind was a black standard poodle. That dog, a family dog, was worth more than any high powered ruined pedigree hunting dog you can buy now.

Many families with dogs have children. Poodles are one of the most hypoallergenic dog to people there is. It was a dog I would recommend to clients when other dogs didn't fit the bill. They don't shed and they have virtually no dander.

Everyone knows about Labradors. My preference was for blacks. Rugged, loyal, gentile and family orientated without the mental problems so associated with many breeds. You can put most any dog with a crazy human being and the dog will get nuts too. You put a Lab. with a nutso human and the dog will still stay sane. (poor damb dog)

If these dogs parents are good dogs physically I would see no reason not to get one.

Anytime you take two sane relatively normal dog breeds and cross them you are doing more for a breed than continually linking the same genes. In dogs they call that line breeding. In humans it is called incest and you know what can come of that.

Buy two and give me one.

Doc

(MDCCXXVII)

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a fair mix to me ,We had a Terripoo,when I was young Half silky terrier half poodle. He was a great family dog ,till he got old ,we used to laugh at him when he got his haircut ,he just hid under the bed :smile2:might have to post a funny story bout ole Huffer one of these days.

4. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    A friend of mine at work raises and sells labradoodles.

He actually has one of my female chocolate labs that I sold to him.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't hunt his...but they do love water and will...predictably...retrieve as a stock feature.

One not in the know usually associates a poodle as a house pet..but as John says...they are in fact a hunting dog from way back...and are great for people with allergies as they are hypo allergenic. (As are Labradoodles)

Never owned a poodle myself...but have had plenty of Labs. (Can't go wrong there...as long as you don't mind the glares of disgust you get when you miss a bird. Sorry boss :embarassed:...and giving up your favorite recliner from time to time)

My grandmother had a poodle...and it was a very smart dog...was good with kids...and had a generally happy go lucky disposition. (Don't know if they're all like that...but hers was a good dog)

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Labradoodles are becoming really popular in my area, I see them advertised quite often. Never cared much for purebred poodles myself, I'm just not attracted to the look of them. Maybe if people let their hair grow normally and didn't get those fancy poodle cuts I would like them better. I have no idea about their dispositions, but lots of folks enjoy poodles.

Now labs, on the other hand, I love. Of course I'm fond of almost any type of retriever. Love their stocky builds and the block heads. I have three golden retrievers myself. Irks me when I see an advertisement for a registered "golden lab". It's a YELLOW lab people. Golden retrievers are golden retrievers, period.

Folks are also cross-breeding golden retrievers with poodles now, they're called goldendoodles. :big_smile:

6. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    I remember seein some big mean-a-s poodles before. I could see where they could be a good cross with with a lab. I'm not sure if the color makes a difference, does it? Except for gettin dirty. The parents should both be labradoodles too and not someone starting their own? I'll have to check out the parents.

My poor little Jenny already came with her own issues seeins how I got her from the pound abused and half starved, but shes comin around. A smokin deal at $20 for a peddigree wiemee.

Like beetle pointed out to me in another post she was gettin overfed and now I have her on some low cal food till she gets 5 pounds off her. I still think it was just the holidays..... :)

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never herd of them before but there cute:roll_eyes:

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Ranks right up there with the bull-shitsu's I saw in my local paper. (shitzu/bull terrier mix). I almost spit up my coffee on that one.

9. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    You've got to be shitzuing me! LOL.....

10. gonecatn

gonecatn New Member

State:
    arizona
    I was just thinkin. If you you took off the pink bow and put on a camo bow would that be acceptable in the field?......:eek:oooh: