Labor Day Weekend at Harlan County Lake

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Huskercat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Well, my fiance convinced me to take the 3 hour drive down to Harlan this past weekend to camp with her family. I was against it at first because I hate the big Labor Day crowds and I had to miss the first Husker game, but I'm happy to say it was a blast! My future brother in law, future father in law, and myself put in about 12 hours of fishing in two days below the dam in the spillway. We ended up catching a total of around 60 cats, mostly eaters in the 1-3lb. range. Big fish went a hair over 5. All were Channels and most were caught on live minnows (which was kind of a surprise to me) with a few caught on shrimp as well. I was thrilled that my future in-laws were able to not just catch fish, but catch LOTS of fish, as they don't hardly ever fish, so that was cool! I also managed 2 wipers and a few white bass. Most of the fish were released, but we did keep a few for dinner :big_smile: Anyway, no big fish, but had a great time and hope everyone else enjoyed the weekend as much as I did.

Attached Files:

2. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Man those are some skinny looking cats,in the pics! Anyway glad it turned out to be more fun than you thought it would. And you spent some time with the future in-laws fishing,that can't be a bad bonding experience!

3. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    sounds and looks like a GREAT time! cant ever complain about inlaws or stringers like that!

4. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    looks like u had a great trip.....and props to you for meeting the in-laws before they are the IN-LAWS!!!!! :smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt thanks for sharing your trip with your future inlaws. Sounds like an enjoyable trip. Congrats on the fish.

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Matt Thanks for sharing the trip and pictures.I used to fish Harlan county Res. years ago and the lake held good numbers of catfish.I have to make it a point to fish it one more time before I kick the bucket.So many fish to catch and so little time left,Oh well I wonder if they have catfish in Hell cause the chances of me going the other way ain't looking to good.LOL Congratulations on your up coming marriage Sir. J.D.

7. Huskercat

Huskercat New Member

State:
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Skinny, but delicious with a little salt and garlic butter :big_smile:

8. shadowman

shadowman New Member

State:
    nc
    man thats alot of fish and it had to be alot of fun!