La Cygne

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by crazy, Dec 6, 2005.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Has anyone fished la cygne's hot water discharge yet this winter? Been thinking about going down and giving it a try one of these cold winter days.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    not yet, been givin it some thought. maybe even coffee county ever been there?

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Never been to either of them. Just heard some good things about winter time fishing hot water discharges.

4. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I have fished la cygne early early spring febuary if I remember right. caught wipers and channels @ the hot water discharge fishing was pretty good.

coffee co. is the lake for wolf creek nucler power plant. burlington kansas a pretty good haul from KC. if you go there is a number to call first to make sure it is open, it closes wheen the terrorst alert goes up. also you must wear your PFD at all times, and if the lake gets too rough they close it. some felllas drown a number of years back. BUT....the fishing there is fantastic. walleyes, wipers, smallies, catfish.

I checked the fishing reports for both lakes they are catching some cats at la cygne but are tearing up the cats and walleye at coffee co.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't they only let a certain amount of boats at wolf creek? Maybe they only did that when it was first opened.

6. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    fifty I think. I 've never had a problem getting on last summer. creel limit is pretty restritive too but the fishing is pretty darned good.

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    My buddies parents live about 4miles from the lake, they go fishin quite often down there. They have caught a lot of cats by the discharge. My father in law has caught some decent size cats by the intake during the spring time. If you don't have a boat the walk down to the intake is a good little ways.

chris

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been thinking about LaCynge. I fished it at the discharge last year on Dec 30 and caught a mess of little (1lb or so) channel cats on worms, and there were guys just tearing up the wipers fishing over the fence.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's a good thing i have a boat then. I dislike walking when I can freeze driving. :)

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm gonna go give la cygne a try tomorrow. I'll let ya all know how we do!

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Ok tomorrow is here and i'm still at home..............wish I would have gone now!

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Brad have you been down to La Cynge yet? I might go down Mon or Tues. Waiting to hear if the cats are biting at the hot water. Thanks. :)

13. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Brad, I've never been to LaCygne before and was wondering which side of the lake has the best boat ramps. I've got a burning yearning to fish for Wipers and LaCygne is rated as excellent.

I've fished Coffey several times and have had great luck on whites, smallmouth and walleye...... have only caught one walleye that was of keepable length:sad: There's also no place to hide from the wind on Coffey, I hope LaCygne isn't as bad????????

Any info would be helpful. thanks

14. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Fished La Cynge a week & a half ago. Caught 32 hybrids over 3 lbs. 11 of those were in the 6 to 7 lb range and had 3 over 10lbs. They were not anywhere close to the discharge but rather hangin in 20 to 25 feet of water with a temp of 54 on the main lake right on top of huge schools of shad. I marked a lot of big time bottom arches around the shad that def were not hybrids. The lake has a healthy population of blues, so I'm certain that was what I was seeing.

15. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    charlie,
    There are two boatramps on the lake one on the north end and one about the middle of the lake on the west side. There is also a ramp on the east side but it only leads to the cooling pond and not the main lake.

Both ramps are good, but the one on the west side will cost you $2 to use

Hope this helps,
    BRad

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the info guys. Need to learn how to fish for these things, won't be long before Clinton has a good population of decent sized wipers.

Fishking, were you using live bait or artificials. Fishing for Wiper sounds alot like fishing for whites, find a stockpile of groceries and you'll find the predators.

Thanks again.

17. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    We used 5 inch live shad and 6 inch baby bass jigs. They really had no preference.

18. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Thamks for the info. I'm on my 7 off next week and will try and make it over that way.

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    As Sad as it sounds, I can see the stacks of La Cygne out my back door and yet I have not made out fishing there this year, Or Middle creek for that matters. I live in Linn Valley, Ks. were we have a few ponds and a 140 acre lake/pond. Depends on who you talk to. Might just of out fishing for a while tonight and see what happens. Any one going out tonight this way? I'll let you know how it goes.

If your to busy to go FISHING, Your just to busy
    Jay

20. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Didn't make it to La cygne, But did go hit a spot I know down by mound city. Caught a couple nice little Cats 2-3 Lb. range. Nothing to right home about. spent the day digging a foundation for a buddy and hit the boat ramp for a few hours.
    If Your to busy to go Fishing, You're just to busy!