L.E.D. LIGHTS.THANKS SKIPEYE!

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by joer, Apr 26, 2009.

1. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I installed some red l.e.d. lights to enhance our use during night fishing! Skipeye's post in the member library is awesome!! I PM him to get some final instructions to help the process....thanks again Skipeye. I finally got to use them and I would highly recommend reading this post. The pics don't do them justice but just to give you an idea.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    looks good joe! I put some on my rig a few months ago, I really like them.

mine are just a little to bright at night, but i like them.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    paul have you checked into putting a dimmer or a resistor inline to dim them down? i dont know much about the led lights but it should work..

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am going to give that a try. I am only running 2 strips, and it lights up the boat like a WWII aircraft carrier..

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    since it is just a diode i wouldnt think a dimmer would hurt it but i will see what i can find out.. 10months off work without my hands in a control panel and i have forgot everything!! :smile2:

6. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    i put 4 40in and 2 20in in my boat LED RED i got them all on toggle switches so i can turn on what i need or all on and can be seen from outer space you can check them out on my profile in my picture albums, but i really like them they are low voltage and they only draw 1/5 amp they work really good at nite just got the new boat only been out with the lights twice wanna see what they do with bugs i got them from a place called yachtlites online seamaster strips and they are water proof they come in 4 or 5 colors:wink:

7. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Paul I tried the lights strips (Cabela's) and they were too bright. So switched to these individual lights and they work great!! Although I realized they don't catch fish:confused2:. Must be the captain!

8. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    here are some pics but more on my profile page in albums section

9. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Very nice Steve!

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    To those wanting to DIM LED's NOTE:

The use of a regular dimming circuit using a potentiometer to vary voltage will most likely result in inconsistent results when dimming LED's when several are in a series circuit.

Why? Because the conduction thresholds will vary slightly between individual LED's and will become noticable as the voltage is dropped.

Google for a simple PWM Dimmer. You can find circuit board kits or completed cards for $20 and under.

These pulse modulated dimmers always apply the full 12v so the lights will operate consistently. The on-off time is varied in pulse-width, which effectively gives the appearance of a dimmer bulb. You will not not see flickering with the naked eye as the pulse widths are in the millisecond range.

11. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm gonna have to get me some of those