Ky. side of the Greenup dam???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Katdaddy29, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Katdaddy29

Katdaddy29 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hear all the time about the Ky side of the Greenup dam. HOW do you get to it? All we can see when we go across the bridge is a parking lot for picnic tables underneath shelters and a road leading away from them. Is this the side you are talking about? The other side is inaccessable far as we can tell. As you go towards the shore on the picnic side, there is no access. Just a TON of weeds over your head and rocks. How is everyone getting to this side of the dam for fishing? Where is the access point?Thanks for any help! :big_smile:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The road going to the picnic shelters, right before the last curve to the left there is a gravel road on the left. Turn there and follow it out quite a ways. There will be a little parking area on the right where you can park at. There is sometimes tall weeds there and big rocks and a rough walk over. Once you get down past that it opens up into wide open space. It can be worth the walk/hike over the hill.:cool2:

3. Katdaddy29

Katdaddy29 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We drove down thar road to a place that looked like people had parked quite abit, we went so far and only found deep weeds, it seemed like the path just stopped. We didn't wanna take a chance on walking straight into the river. We haven't had the best luck on the Ohio side, and not because of the fish either. Thanks for the reply! How are the weeds currently? Last we checked, they were over your head in height.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John and I have been there and done that already. John told you just how to get there. Not been there this year but weeds may be high due to the way the river has been up. probably not been many fishing down there this year.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  5. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i'd like to go fish that spot one night. heard it can be really good, but some here say they might be there and they might not, i take that as it's probably not one of their preferred spots.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

It can be good at times. You just never know what to expect, same with all areas. Main reason I don't go there often is because of back problems, too hard on me to get there.
    All the spots i've posted on here are generally known public spots. I haven't posted any of my preferred spots on the open forum nor will I. Worked too hard to find some of them and very few people know about them, like to keep it that way....

Katdaddy29,
    This area is plenty of parking and then goes pretty much straight over a good sized hill. You park right by where the hill goes over. I'd say there is a path, maybe not too good but you should be able to get through it. Lots of big rocks and stuff to maneuver through but once you get through its wide open at the bottom.