ky river fishing for blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by waterdog101, Jan 19, 2010.

1. waterdog101

waterdog101 New Member

State:
    london, ky
    has anyone ever fished the ky river near winchester, for blue cats. i've been thinking about trying it. if i do, i'll be putting in at the state park boat ramp near winchester. ky. if anyone has fished this river, at this location. any has any tips for me. i thank you in advance .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
  2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I live 10 min. from the state park and have fished this section for 2 years No Blues here ! Channels run up to 20 to 25 in. . There are some flatheads in there but yet to catch one bigger than 15 in..Saw someone post last year catching flats between 15 and 20 lbs. around the I-75 bridge. The blues might make it here someday...I think they are more from Frankfort on to the Ohio . A few more floods and maybe they'll make it here !

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Welcome to the Board !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Goodluck Tex and welcome..

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    As far as tips.............Most all fish species around the dam will eat minnows or small shad . Going upstream from ramp fish the right hand wall in the current BE CAREFUL ! Or on left hand side of river you will see a point that makes a Eddy another spot . If you go down stream there is a lil creek mouth you might wanna try . My boat only has a trolling motor on it so I don't go far I have jugged from the dam down a lil ways in summer . Words of wisdom it is shallow on the park (beach area) with lots of logs an such . Good Luck ! I usually keep a post running about the conditions and such there from april till I get cold tired or deer season starts . Oh yeah and I hate liver but it works downstream from the ramp when the water is muddy or colored...I know liver LOL ! Kinda like a flyfisherman with a folgers can full of worms:laugh1:

6. waterdog101

waterdog101 New Member

State:
    london, ky
    thanks, for the reply. it's good to get info. from someone who lives so close to the ramp i was planning on useing. i saw a youtube video on winter blues on the ky river, thought the blues might be in your area. the video didn't say where on the ky river they were. another question? how deep is the water in that area without flooding. in the spring and summer. thanks again.

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The youtube video was probably alot closer to the mouth of the KY river and the Ohio .I don't have a depth finder on my boat so I am not sure...Above the dam There are a couple ramps and a buddy of mine used his boat up there once while jugging and we found that alot of that area was 15 to 30 ft deep...That being said there are alot of trees in the middle and here there everywhere .2 people is almost a must at night if you don't know the river and lights .Below the dam in that lil section I have not been on with a depth finder cause well....I don't have one and no one comes here to fish w/me LOL ! I would say from the dam to the bridge below the ramp off the banks is anywhere from 5 to 25 ft. Some of the bank opposite of the park is a straight drop .Probably cause that is the (main) current flow side the park side is shallower until you get close to the bridge ! If you wanna come up we can fish it come Late spring or summer ...If I had a depth finder I might fish some diffrent spots in that area .

8. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    How big of boat ? and I am guessing you have seen the length of the ramp . I back down from the very top cause the turn around close to the bottom is to rough on my van which sits too low to the ground .

9. Bigben

Bigben New Member

State:
    southcentral,ky
    let me know how the fishing is never been to the ky river planing on going this year

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tex welcome to the USCA, from So. Illinois. Enjoy.

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Gimme a shout when you head this way .