KY River Equipment Question

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Capn Crunch, May 31, 2009.

1. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    This is an equipment question, but since it specifically relates to the KY River, I figured it ought to go here.

This is my first year of serious catfishing. In years past, they were incidental catches when targeting bass, bluegill, striper, etc. I have an Abu 5500 on a nice 7' MH rod with 12lb Big Game which is currently my bass/smaller cat rig (for ponds, smaller stocked lakes, etc.)

I planned on setting up an Abu 6500 with 20lb mono on my 8' Ugly Cat, but I've been given an opportunity to pick up another 5500C3 at a nice price. I know it would only hold roughly 115 yards of 20lb mono, if my math is right. I wondered if this would be enough line for the KY River.

For the details, I generally bank fish, and generally between Irvine and Frankfort. My favorite is around Boonesborough. I'm thinking even 15-17lb mono would probably be enough to bring in up to 30-ish pound fish if I play them well, and would give me better capacity than the 20lb line. Just not sure if the 5500 has enough line capacity at 20lb, or if not, if the 15 or 17# line would be strong enough. From what I've seen so far, really big cats seem more like moving large rocks than hooking a freight train. If that's the case on the KY, the 115 yards ought to be enough. (Now if I hook into a striper or hybrid, that may change quick. Lol.) I guess if the cat gets into swift current below a dam that would change things, too.

Just wanted to get some opinions from the experienced. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :)

2. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    You should be fine Berklys big game is some tuff stuff.You can always keep some in your box in case you need to respool.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Mike I use 20lb. But I use heavier spinning gear (I think ) ? I probably have more line capacity . I f your fishing log jams you need to get the flats out quick before they rap you up that is what would be important I would think .You could always use a 2 ft leader of something even heavier 30 or 40 just a thought .

4. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You will not have any problems at all with that set up. One of my reels is also a 5500 C3 with 17#(Big Game) on it and I have had no problems at all on the river. I even also sometimes use a heavier line for my leader as well

5. rogers7

rogers7 Member

State:
    Stanton, KY
    Can also go to a braided line and upgrade to higher test line with a smaller diameter ( I believe the 30lb is dia. of 12) giving you a greater gain on line capacity. People say the braided line will eventually cut into the ceramic's on the line guides....creating nicks in the line...I haven't had this problem.

6. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Thanks a lot, guys. I though about going to 20# braid with an 8# diameter, but the thinner lines tend to sneak between the spool and the frame causing cuts, not good with expensive braid. Also I do fish ponds and small lakes with a lot of rocks.

Truth be told, I've never even felt overmatched with 12# mono on the KY, but I know that day is coming. Well, at least I hope it is! :) I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get spooled.

I tend to lob my casts so that I don't throw the bait on splashdown, so I generally only cast 20-40 yards or so anyway. This should leave plenty on the spool. I think I'll try some 20# (since I already have a bunch of it in the line box). If I do get spooled, I can always step back to 15 or 17.

Thanks again for the help, y'all!!

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I got 2 6000's and a 5000's ABU with 20 lbs of big game on them they do great

8. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I own several Abus from 5000 to 6500 and I use 30 lb. big cat. They all cast great, have never been spooled, I broke off one time on a big flat last year but the line was old. I only respool once a year and don't have any problems. It is difficult to break off a snag but it can be done.

9. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    I fish the kentucky river at frankfort, its the only place I fish, I fish the upper pool up to just past the interstate bridges and the lower pool from the dam to the mouth of elkhorn, I have all 6000s and 6500s and one pflueger contender g30, I use 30lb big cat and 30lb ande monster yellow, every rig gets a 50lb leader. We dont target alot of flatheads but we still catch them, the big blues are so abundent that we usually fish for them, We fish out of a boat and never have any problems with not having enough line, that said, if I was bank fishing I would be worried about being spooled if I was fishing far from the bank. the 20lb I think is fine, I know sometimes when we get hung up I wish we had 20lb. Another thing to consider is that if you are fishing from the bank, you will eventually get hung up, probably more than once, my concern there would be after a couple times of breaking off with a 5000 you wont have alot of line left, I have this problem with my 6000s and usually have to respool at least one reel per trip. Something else is that dont plan on just catching up to 30lb, plan for bigger, we catch blues almost every trip from 20-40lb, like I said the blues in the ky river are abundent and you should catch many with cut bait. Good luck this year

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i personally have one 5500c3 set up on a 6'6" heavy action old muskie rod that i use for fishing areas that are hard to cast a big rod, and as a spare. what i do is i use spiderwire you can get 50 lb test line in a 12lb diameter. Also there is no line stretch so when you set the hook you get all fish. the problem lyes however when you are fishing in a rocky area then you have problems breaking off as easy, and if you do backlash its hard to pick them out. just something to think about.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i just read what Ko3579 was saying about breaking off so much and thought i would share this little tidbit with you all.

Take a casting sinker and double back a rubber band through its eye. then select the distance you want it from your leader or hook. then double the rubber band around the line so that its snug. then when you get a fish on it can still move some because of the rubber band. also if you get hung up its usually because of your sinker. this way the rubber band will break off and you wont loose any line or the rest of your terminal tackle. just take plenty of rubber bands and sinkers.

if i can figure out how to post a picture of it i will show you what im talking about, in case my description isn't good enough.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    One thing I have noticed with smaller dia. braid line, is that it takes less weight to hold bottom in current. The thinner dia. line catches less current than the larger dia. mono.

13. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    I think I know what your talking about, I use to use rubber bands as stop knots on my floats, now I just use fishing line as a stop knot. Do the rubber bands hold up while casting heavier sinkers, I might try this next trip.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you have to use the good rubber bands the ones that are kinda wide and not the skinny ones... i know thats not very descriptive but i think you'll get the point....however i use 1oz sinkers most of the time when fishing like this but i would say they would stand up to a larger sinker if the rubber band was of good quality