ky. river cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by stonemaster, Dec 4, 2005.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    Hi. This is my first time on this site and i hoped someone could tell me about my chances of catching a few cats this month in the ky. river.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    dont know anything about ky river but ohio is doing great right now i would think if you knew a few good holes you should do good too.

3. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    The mouth of the Kentuck river is awesome when the water temp gets all the way down in the upper 30's and lower 40's. That hole is 50 some feet deep and holds a lot of big ble cats during the winter. Good luck and I would give it a try we've caught a lot of nice fish from there.

4. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    thanks jeremy. i fish the part of the river between locks 6 and 7. shoud i look for deep holes or spend my time looking for structure.i am new to cat-fishing, before i fly-fished for small-mouths in small streams. i started going for cats this spring and now i am hooked (sorry for the pun). i caught a freezer full of 5 to 10 lb. channel and blues but no big flatheads. some freinds of mine caught some nice ones, one was 42 lbs., but no luck for me.mostly i was using shad near the lock. i bought a dept-finder and have been learning the bottom near home but i realy do not know what to look for. any advice you could give me would be greatly appreachated.

5. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    thanks jeremy.
    i fish the part of the river between locks 6 and 7. before this year i fly fished for small mouths in small streams. i started going for catfish this spring and got hooked(so to speak). i filled up the freezer with 3 to 10 lb. channel and blues fishing off the apron at lock 6 , but no flatheads or big cats. i bought a depth-finder and have been mapping the bottom near home but i realy do not know what to look for. the deepest hole that i found is 35 ft.. i have been working 7 ten hour days a week all fall and only now have time to start back fishing. i was afraid that it was too late in the year but maybe not.i need help knowing what to look for with my depthfinder and any other advice you could give mr. thanks and l.o.l. :cursing: soory, i am also new to computers

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id say you should still be able to catch some big ones.I fish the kentucky river sometimes but i stay hung up most of the time so i dont fish it very much.I havent got the hang of fishing rivers yet,if i can figure out how to fish it without hanging up every cast,i fish it more.

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Stonemaster, I fish on the lower part of the Ky, around Carrollton, but I wouldn't think that it would be any different up your way. I would check out where the deeper water is for cattin' this time of year. Start by looking in the outside of bends, this is where most deep water is in rivers. I'm sure the cats will be in the deep water and another good place is where there is an eddy at the mouth of a feeder stream. I hope this helps, Vern

8. spot502

spot502 New Member

has any one done any good at the mouth of the salt river lately?

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Spot502, I've never fished there, but hear it is a pretty productive hole at times. Vern