KY Lake Catfish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by travis_duckhunter, May 8, 2008.

1. travis_duckhunter

travis_duckhunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heading to the lake next friday the 16th to camp for the weekend in one of the bays. gonna be limb lining, jugging, and pole fishing. Plan on using cut bait, shrimp, and leeches for bait as we usually do. Just wondering if anyone has any reports as to what the cats are doing down there right now in relation to coming into the bays. Have a group of friends going down to do the same thing this weekend so I should have a report for anyone interested beginning of next week. Good luck to all!

By the way, just joined the site and it's great to see so many people after catst! Great site, hope to learn a lot and able to help a lot. Good fishin to all!

2. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Welcome aboard! KY lake is a favorite of mine. If I can ask, which bay are you planning on visiting? We fish all up and down there and Barkley as well.
    Deb

3. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the boc! sorry i cant help with a report for ya but im sure someone here will soon.

4. travis_duckhunter

State:
    Kentucky
    We go to smith. Started going with a guy from work, he's been going there twice a year for over 30 years. Just their tradition I became a part of! May be better bays on the lake, dont know, but that's prolly where I'll go from now on as well. They are the ones going this weekend, but I couldnt due to work!

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Martin County Kentucky, I havent been to Kentucky lake yet this year but I have talked to some people that has, and the way they talked there catching some cats right now, good luck on your trip and keep us posted on how you do.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC. This site is full of good info and great people.

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We fish Ken lake and Barkley year round. The channelcats are starting to bite good now on just about any type of baits. The blues are biting good on cutbaits in a little deeper water than the channelcats, they are moving in shallower and closer to the bank. The Flatheads are biting good now too. I would bait some of the limb lines with small bluegills and set them about 6-12" deep on limbs at least 1 1/2' in diameter. Hope this helps and good luck fishing!:cool2:

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Welcome to the BOC Travis. I agree with what John said. In addition to the channel cats, we have caught 2 flatheads over 40lbs in the last three trips. All up close to the bank.

9. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I've been hearing that alot of guys are doing good fishing the rip-rap rocks along the banks. Some guys have been catching them by Egner's ferry bridge using minnows and crickets.

10. travis_duckhunter

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the reports guys! Hopefully we'll have good reports two weekends in a row to post for ya'll! Good luck to all of you!

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got back from KY Lake, We camped at Ginger Bay Backwoods camp in the LBL. Watch your butt in there, the Rangers are CRAZY. They will come in your camp looking to write tickets, real HARD NOSED FOLKS, I will write more on this later.:angry::angry:

On jug fishing, Boy we did great. I was using some regular J hooks and was trying circle hooks #5s & #8s. Before I was done, number 8 circles were on all my jugs. Take bluegills and shiners, 5" to a 10" long and cut into 2 or 3 pieces, on 3-6' cords under the jugs. You will get cats from 5 to 25 pounds all night long. I even caught a 5 pound Bass on a hunk of cut bait on a jug.:wink::wink:

If you fish that same area I was at, 2 bays north of Ginger Bay is Rushing Creek bay. It has all the 2 pound shell crackers you can handle. Well 20 anyway, because thats the limit. Go to the back of the Bay and you will see a piece of Grey plastic conduit pipe sticking up. That is the spot, a 50 foot radius around that pipe will have your ultra lite bending double. :big_smile:

South of Ginger Bay is Clay Bay, another killer spot. Lots of 5 to 10 pound cats available for a rod and reel. I was using night crawlers on all my rods in the boat.:big_smile:

Cut bait, homemade soap bait and garlic livers on jugs. Eventually we went to just cut bait on jugs and live shiners and bluegills on limb lines.

On jugs, if you leave them out with fresh cut bait during the day, you will get 1 catfish to 5 gar ratio. Boy those gar are thick after cut bait during the day. Pain in the butt too, as I ain't taken that hook out. LOL Those 3-15 pound garr have an attitude. LOL:smile2:

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Congrats on a great trip! As for the Rangers they sound like the SC Game Wardens.

13. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    So, what happened with the rangers?????:0a28:

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Read page 106 and 107 of Ramblers 4, I spilled my Guts there. Here I copyed and pasted both my post's.

Kentucky Lake Vacation and Fishing Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I have never been so Mad and so Happy in one week.

Mad Section

Those Rangers/ 40 cal. toting Idiots were in a stupid frame of mind. They came in camp, every day just looking for a way to write a ticket. Every day, show them your papers. Fishing license and Backwoods Camping Permit. Real smart mouthed folks. They went threw my camp and boat every day for five days.

When you complain, you get told , " Well we are doing our job" and get a breathalyser. Hell you are getting aggravated, So You Must Be Drunk. It's a 150 dollar fine if a empty beer can is on the ground in your camp. If you are in a pay camp, you can drink beer on your site, but if you walk to neighbors camp carrying a beer, it's a 150 dollar fine.

My son and a Friend and his wife camped at Rushing Creek/ Pay camp sites and had their tents, personal affects and vehicles shook down and gone threw. Everything tore up and not put back. Two Male officers, They even made Harry's wife pull her bra away from her body and shake, TWICE, first time she did not pull it far enough away, to see if any thing would fall out. Boy was SHE MAD. I told Griz If My wife had to do that, at 57, her BOOBS would have fell out.

My nephews were shook down in an almost similar fashion, One, Randy about 240 wearing sweat shorts and a baggy sleeveless T shirt, was patted down for weapons. My other nephew Cliff took a breathalyser too. LOL

The only ticket issued was to my 37 year old son for 300 dollars, possession of small amount marawanna. Both breathalysers showed .000000000

The harassment stopped when my nephew Cliff started taking pictures of the officers, I guess they are camera shy.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The Good

Boy the fishing was nice. Weather was nasty the first couple days, windy and Lake was rough. I got awful wet a few times. My nephews kid sat in front of my boat, the waves would bust over the front, seem to separate around him, and get back together where My center console and I was standing. He never the less thought this was extremely funny watching me get soaked. LOL

We used jugs with soap bait, liver and cut bait. Eventually just going to cut bait. Took 6-10 " bluegill and shiners, cut into 2 or 3 pieces on number 8 circles. 5-20 pound cats, lots of 5-20 pound cats. A ratio of 1 catfish to 5 garr during the day on cut bait jugs. Boy they have an attitude, at 5-15 pounds, you just don't want them in the boat.

I made it to the Tuesday Night Redtails at Energy Lake and ate good, BSed a lot, and watched Griz catch a 45 pound 3 ounce flathead.

The shell crackers were at their ultra light pole bending best. 2 pounders, all day long, just a 20 limit though. Shoot thats only about 45 minutes fishing. Boy they are fun to catch, good eating, over grown sunfish.

Ginger Bay was it's most beautiful best. I live 800 feet off the road, with a woods between the road and my house. Only in the winter, when the leaves are off the trees can one get a glimpse off my place. So I like privacy. Ginger Bay is better than my place, just a beautiful place. Takes 8 miles of the roughest dirt/red clay hilly and curvy road just to get there. It used to be great, now I'm not so sure, with all those Idiot rangers, hands on 40 cals.

Boy is that a way to disrespect me. I invite you out of a pouring rain, into my camper, you ask for my fishing license and backwoods permit, I reach in the front pocket of my bib overalls to get it, and you automatically place your hand on that 40 cal. I consider that the most disrespectfull thing you can do to this 57 year old man.

Then that same one said I had one problem, I asked what, and he said I had a KY fishing license and this was TN. I told him that either license would work between the bridges, and he said Oh Ya thats right. If I did not know the laws, would I have been given a ticket????

Another good thing, Bo, The Wonder Dog [It's a wonder I haven't shot him] really enjoyed himself. He loved boat ridding and fishing, even after he slipped on the front deck at 45MPH and fell in. I thought he would be boat shy, but every time I started the boat, He was ready.

Well that is the long and the short of my vacation. I bucked a head wind all the way down, got 7.5 mpg and maybe 8.5 on the way back. At least 650 in traveling fuel cost, 200 in boat fuel cost, and memories that will last a lifetime.
    Attached Thumbnails

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to vent some more.

For the last 25-30 years I have had a non resident TN or KY fishing license. My nephews and son have been going down with me for 20+ years. Same spot, Ginger Bay Backwoods camp Or Rushing Creek Campground. My 4 nephews and son usually ride 4 wheelers and dirt bikes at Turkey Bay off road deal. They have to permit those units every year.

This year only 2 nephews came down because the other 2 had, after work college tests. They, my son and I take our play very seriously. 3 years ago, they had 5 4 wheelers on a flat bed trailer behind 1 pickup. It was a joke that if that vehicle got in a wreck the insurance company would go nut's as there were about 25,000 dollars worth of 4 wheelers on that trailer. This year my son brought down a new sand rail and his RM 250 dirt bike on a trailer. My nephews brought down their Bass boat and Harry and his wife brought down 2 4 wheelers. I had my truck, truck camper and 19' catfish boat.

This year I spent money on two new generators, one for the camper, one for the boat. I bought a bunch of new rods and reels as from Novembers surgery till about February, I had tubes coming out of me, and Ebay, this site and the TV was my life.

What I am trying to say is we have spent ton's of money on our once a year camping get together. We go there to relax, have fun, enjoy each others company and eat darn good.

When the police are invading your camp every day, it tends to ruin the experience.

I will not just let this incident go by unknown. They will know this old boy on a first name basis before all is said and done.

The nice thing about computers is emails. And every Senator, Governor, Congressman and any one connected with the LBL has an email address. And my computer even has a spell checker, so I looks educated.

Trust me, a lot of people will hear my little voice before this week is up.

Right now the last money I have spent in TN was 67 at the BP in Dover for fuel and 8 something for a cold 12 pack. The last money I spent in KY was 3 dollars for 2 bags of ice. I would not even think about refueling my truck until I hit Evansville, IN. I would not spend another dime in those states of KY and TN. That's part of the reason I did not stop at that gathering in Henderson,KY. I was not going to give KY any more of my money.

I have a son and nephews that are reconsidering next year. Harry and his wife won't be back. We just got them talked into it the last 3 years.

If I take a compass and draw a 500 mile radius around Michigan City, Indiana, Boy that covers a lot of territory. Some place out there, will be glad to see my son, myself and my nephews money.

I'm sorry for having a long winded tirade, but I feel better now.

Thanks for listening.

Oh No

The Following 14 BOC Members Say Thank You to oh no For This Useful Post:
    223reload (05-11-2008), 777 (05-11-2008), anchorpuller (05-11-2008), baitchunker (Yesterday), bluejay (05-12-2008), bootshowl (05-11-2008), JimmyJonny (05-11-2008), Kat-tamer (05-11-2008), LakeNormanBlues (05-11-2008), postbeetle (05-12-2008), pythonjohn (05-11-2008), SHARON FLEMING (05-12-2008), Ulikedew (05

15. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    GOOD LORD!!!!:crazy: Sorry about your troubles. Hope the rest of the trip home went o.k.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That really is bbbaaaaddd ! I don't usually fish lbl but do fish cumberland river from Barkley on down stream . I am surprised they didn't try to get you for running limb lines and jugs at the same time . I was going to run 25 jugs and one trotline at dewey lake I called the man for that area and he said the law states 25 limblines OR 50 jugs per boat OR 2 trotlines my motor is down and can't afford to replace it this year now anyway can put along with the trolling motor can't catch jugs that way !Sorry there was so much trouble !

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Did you notice there name tags?

18. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

My son got some of their names. Federal Idiots, US Forest Service .
    Griz nosed around some and said that they had busted a mobile meth lab at Ginger Bay. That might be why they had their Stupid Mind Set On. But it does not EXCUSE their ATTITUDE.

I had about 24 jugs and 6 limb lines set.