KY fall turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by on_the_fly, Oct 22, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    anyone else going fall shotgun for turkey birds this weekend. here in KY fall shotgun is the 25'th- 31'st (this sat through friday) can get 2 birds with shotgun only one can have a beard over 3 inches. and you can get 2 more birds with bow, that fallows the same dates as archery for deer.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    is there no fall hunters out there?

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I guess there is no one else hunting but just if anyone is reading I'll post.:smile2:
    A friend of mine and I went sat. morning. We had one jake that he shot at with his black powder shotgun (come to find out he had never shot before to know its patteren) and missed. and later about 2 hours before dark we had 3 hens come through but I didnt try to shoot because they were in prety thick brush at about 50 yards. ( I know my gun will drop um at 50 yards in a open field just wasnt sure about all that brush) so we ended the day with no birds. and today I went back alone this time and had 3 deer come through and about an hour later had around 10 hens come through and I did drop one at around 40 yards. she ended up weighing about 12 to 14 lbs and her tail fan was 24 inches wide.
    we still have 5 days for shotgun (mon - fri) and can get two birds in that time with a shotgun so I am going to try to get back before the weekend.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am surprised you all have a season where you can shoot hen turkeys.
    We have a fall season in some counties in south Alabama. You can shoot
    5 gobblers in combined spring and fall season. Our fall season runs Nov.
    22 thru Jan. 3. Fall turkey is open at our hunting club but it also rifle
    deer season. Most people do not turkey hunt during deer season. Sometimes
    during the doldrums of dec. when the deer are not moving I might take a
    shotgun and sit in a blind on a game patch and try for the big bird.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well here we can get two toms in spring hunt no matter how takin, and in fall we can get 4 birds two with bow and two with shotgun hen, tom, or jake but only one bird can have a beard over three inches out of the four total birds. so we can get a total of 6 birds a year here.

6. KY King Kat

KY King Kat New Member

State:
    KY
    I went saturday morning with a buddy of mine. I had my shotgun he had his bow. I called in a hen but she came in at the wrong angle. She and I had a long conversation and roughly 25 min later came in from behing me(which I thought that she would, but it was to my right instead of my left) and when I turned to make sure she wasnt going to do that, she clucked and was 25 yards away and running through the woods.

On Sunday morning I was sitting in the same place 200 yards acroos a field from roughly 100 birds on the roost. They didnt come my way once they came off the roost. So around 815 i decided to do some stalking. Walked across the field to where they were roosting and down a long field about 400 yards away I saw a flock of 100 birds. They were making all kinds of racket and for the first time I saw 6 toms strutting in the fall. It wasnt my land and I chose not to pursue. I did set there and watch them for about 2 hours. They stayed in the corn field having a big ole time. There were probably 50 birds or more with beards. Its like this every year in the fall. They roost in the same spot just off my land, sometime they come my way, sometimes they dont. But during the fall, they bunch up across from my deer stand and give me some entertainment when the deer arent moving. Ive seen this large group for the last 4 years. Its really amazing how they are in the same spot every fall.
    I hope to get back in the woods a couple more times this week.

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I live in Georgia and we have the second highest population of turkeys in the country. Second only to Texas. They are everywhere and are a nuisance in some places. We for one reason or another do not have a fall turkey season. I wish we did so I could participate in the harvest. Spring time is fishing time for me so I can't do my part then.:sad2:

8. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    here is two pics of the hen from yesterday.

Attached Files:

9. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    busted a bird hugh !!! congrats . i went dureing are fall season got 1 are season this yr was sept 1 too 0ct 5 i think it was , now something new for this yr is if you are a youth hunter to the age of 17 this yr you can hunt the weekend before Thanksgiving !!!! just 2 day's , i will be take'n my 2 oldest boy's this yr would love to have acouple wild birds for the holidays .
    thanx's for share'n the pic and story .

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That is what my wife was wanting , a few fresh holiday birds. the spring birds never made it through the summer with the family gatherings/cookouts. but I got thanksgiving coverd now looking at the x-mass bird.
    thats cool they do special for youth. they dont do any special days for turkey for youth here only for deer. but are turkey for fall last forever though. although we only get one week for shotgun, archery is in from Sep. 14'th through Jan 30'th. in that amount of time anyone should be able to tag out if they wanted too.
    And if Georgia had such a high population you would think they would open a fall sesson or at least leave it open longer. What is the bag limit down there?and I cant pass up on much I would never miss a hunting trip or a fishing trip for one or the other. I would fish one day and hunt the next or I have even harvested a early bird and deer and went fishing later that day a few times before.If you love what you do enough you'll find a way to make time for it.

11. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    going this morning and taking a friend that has never been turky hunting to see if we cant get one/his first. here in ky we are able to get 4 birds in the fall hunt.-- 2 during the shotgun and two during bowand cross bow. here today and tomarrow is the last of the shot gun. so we will see how it goes. the area is loaded down with birds but we have had rain the past day or so and the wind is up to around 11 mph and cloudy so I'm thinking where I hunt will be on for it is well wooded with prety open floor with alot of ridges and plenty of thickets for quick cover. I'm thinking the birds will be running the middle to bottom of the ridges to stay out of the wind and kicking up leaves to see what the rain made crawl up out of the ground.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    no luck wind picked up higher than was exspecting and it started sleeting on us. never seen the first bird not even on the side without wind. I'm thinking I was off and they move over to the realy thick hill on the other side of us today for a lot more cover.--- didnt see any deer either. O well chalk one up for the birds today but I'll be back. tomorrow is the last day but I think I will set it out and get ready for muzzle loader that starts saterday here.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My recent back surgery has kept me in the house for the better part of 2 months now....I havent been able to get out and chase the birds. Heres a couple from this past seasons.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    john those are some nice birds! the back surgery's are a mess my wife as went through 5 of them with the last one right at about ten years ago now an she was in a bad car reck two years ago and still before the reck her pain was unreal. she/we are in the prosses now of her getting a pain pump surgicly implanted. We think this might just help put her back to a more funcunal state. so good luck with that feller caz its been a long misrable mess here.
    anyways I think I might wait for a spring bird now if I dont tag out with muzzle loader for my deer then I'll have my bow or cross bow out then I will still try to pick one up. but If I tag out I will just wait till spring although I realy hate wasting tags. ( it is one thing to try and not fill versus no even trying- wast of money) I can get a total for the year of 6 birds and I have only got two this year, one in the spring- and one this fall and it was during the first shot gun week so now I can only get two more because you can only get 2 with shot gun and two with bow or cross bow in the fall