KY deer season

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by lance, Nov 17, 2008.

1. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Got a doe aging in the fridge and no horns for the wall . This has been the toughest most expensive deer season ever . Anyone have a place in central ky ? I hunted in west KY and too much driving ! the EHD hit the deer pretty hard where I hunt in Caldwell co. Add the coyotes and farmers who are thinning them down and well... Last year I saw 4 times the deer in 3 days that I saw in hunting 7 days this year. A little frustrated and broke . Good luck to those still hunting !

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Doe are sure good eating. Congrats on the kill

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Congrats on the freezer meat Lance. Deer are traveling different route this year in the mountains. Is it possible that is the case in West Ky also??? Are ya going back thru muzzle loading season in Dec??

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We all go thru dry spells.:sad2: I've had years that it seemed like i couldn't buy a shot, then it all falls in place. About the time ya get to thinkin it's over, you'll get a shot. hang in there.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This is very true. I know people that has hunted for years without killing even a doe. I have tried to lay out a perfect hunt for them so I could drive deer right bye them,:wink: and put the drive into action. At the end of the drive only to realize that they had got up and moved to another spot an hour to soon.:confused2: The drive was a big success with lots of deer moving right by the spot they had been told to be till a given time.:smile2: To find they had moved was dishearting :angry:,That is not happening again.

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What deer that seemed to be around used the same routes . I saw some deer just no where near as many . There had been a nice buck thru there at some point maybe rubbing off velvet or later . Some trees as big as small fence posts had been rubbed . Two scrapes was all I found in 130 acres . Epizoatic Hemmoraghic Disease definitely reduced the numbers I know of 5 dead deer that were found in the pond . Don't know how many more . Plenty of coyotes to eat up the other evidence . There is a guy who has a radio show on sundays and he said some areas may take 3 to 5 years to recover . Many reasons for my dry spell I guess . In the past 13 years (that I have been Married ) I have killed 16 deer (bucks and does ) combined . 13 have come from my father in laws farm. I won't be deer hunting any more this year . I will hunt rabbits at Christmas when we go down for christmas . I can't justify the expense anymore for this year. Hopefully I can find a cheap lease here close to home for next year .

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Killed a doe in Caldwell co. sat. and a doe in Lyon co. sat eve. I have deer meat ! Still have yet to see any horns . Have seen so bucks that haven't had any real head gear .

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Congrats on the deer meat. Keep after them. We still have muzzle loading season next month Bro.

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My muzzleloader is inopperable !:sad2: The end of the rear plug at back of barrel broke off and am afraid to try it . Was trying to remove the plug and it snapped . It is still loaded so I don't know what to do other than a gunsmith and it will probably cost more to fix than it is worth .

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    lance I have unloaded one of mine before with the air compressor( just blew it out with air, took a few mins but it did work out) a nother option is a ball puller, that is basicly a screw that screws on the end of your ram-rod that you screw into the lead of you bullit and pull it out. that way works great with the maxie balls. good luck but I wouldnt keep it loaded. if nothing else fasten it down and string the triger and fire from a distance.

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The puller doesn't work on a sabot tried did talk to a gunsmith and got some suggestions tho .

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That may be tricky to repair. Find someone that is good at brazing they might be able to help ya out. Just make sure you get it unloaded first.

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    If it were me, I'd scrap the sucker. Pitch it in the trash and go buy another. Blackpowder rifles have come a long way in recent years, and chances are.... a much better rifle could be bought for just a little bit more than what it'd cost to fix yours. My advice: trash it.

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I was thinking the same thing. Was looking in the local trade paper and there are plenty of the sidelocks that can be had for 50 or 75 bucks and a new CVA in-line will run less than $200. IMO the CVA guns are hard to beat. I have 4 muzzle loaders that my sons and I hunt with and 3 of the 4are CVA. The 4th is a T/C 54 cal. Renegade with adjustable double set triggers that I used yrs. ago to shoot compitition with. I had retired it till my youngest son took a likeing to it after shooting it. I told him the stories that went along with the gun and the compitition shoots. It is the only one that he will hunt with.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We are into December and today is the first day of the late muzzle loading season. In the eastern part of the state we are going to have the joy of a skiff of snow on the ground. Not enough to make for bad walking ,just enough to make a deer easy to track. Everyone that hasn't tagged out already will get a rare chance as we don't usually have snow this early in the year. This is going to be the still hunters dream. GOOD LuckGuys.

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good Luck Ken and others ! There is no snow west of winchester,so mountain guys enjoy the snow ! I killed 2 does already and didn't purchase bonus tags so.... The state wanting you to take does won't let you kill 2 does First then kill a buck for 10.00 . They make you buy the bonus tags to get that 10.00 extra bucks whether you fill all of them or not in order to kill more does ! I think the tags should work a little different but who am I !

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    lance how does your tag work I would think its the same I'm on state tag.
    state tag = 2 deer ( 1 buck & 1 doe) or 2 does then for me ( zone 2 )
    bonus tag = 2 doe deer only ( the other zones are different on the bonus tags)
    I always go and buy the bonus tag so I dont cut myself out of my buck tag. (you dont have to tag out before you buy a bonus tag)

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The same as you just didn't want tospend 10.00 extra and not end up using it killed 2 does and now no buck hunting !:angry: I emailed kdfwr to see why they couldn't change it seeing how they want us to kill does more people might go ahead and kill 2 does to thin the population if they could buy a tag later to kill a buck . I guess I am cheap I hate to buy anything I might not use .

19. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like to try and get the buck first before I shoot any does because I always thought if I shot my does out first then the bucks would move off to other areas looking for the hot does so if I let the does walk untill I fill the buck tag then does were game. thats just the way I try and do it. but I am not a trophy hunter either though I do let the spikes and 4 pointers and most 6 pionts walk. I realy kind of look for the standard 8 point or a nice 6 point but I will not hold out long to fill that buck tag either for I do like deer in the freezer. but I have a long time to for I hunt with every thing (bow, cross bow, gun, and muzzle loader) so I'm in the woods all seasson.
    I can say though I do want one trophy. my idea trophy is a notipical 12 to 16 point early seasson buck still in velvet. I know horns still in velvet dont count in scoreing for boone & crocket but I realy dont care either it would be my trophy not theirs.:big_smile:

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I get to deer hunt about a total of 8 to 10 days all season muzz./rifle . There is no GOOD public land close to hunt . The private land owners I have tried well... Take one look at the avitar and you can guess there response .! I have land that was heired to my wife and my father in law still calls the shots ie legal Dowery ? Which is in Caldwell co 3.5 hours away so it's not like I can slip out the back door to hunt whenever I want. Even the Daniel Boone Nat. Forest is an hour away and fine forsquirrel hunting but without x amount of time to scout etc... And hunting around Some people that might lack a little gun control scares me a bit. Yeah it is only 10.00 extra bucks I just don't like to spend it . The hunting on my farm was BAD this year EHD limited the deer numbers Emencely . Ibought my license and the regular 2 tags and hunted other farms that weren't affected near as bad in Caldwell and Lyon co. and did fill the 2 tags . So ... I bought gas this year 8 days 5trips tot. drive time 35 hours gassing the mini van plus license get's expensive .