Ky Dam Update

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by Jbuck, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    A buddy and I went back to Ky. Dam yesterday 04/05. The flow was good, the water clarity was good, the water was higher than I had ever fished it before but the locals indicated it would not be a factor. We did not do well at all, and there was no "sweet spot" on the bank where folks there were hammering them, the guys just below the steps were doing a little better but not much. We came home with 16 running between 12-16 inches. Not a very productive trip but more fun than sitting around the coffee shop.

Tyrant, bearcat, Catpaw and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tyrant

Tyrant Active Member

State:
    Corbin KY
    Name:
    Brandon
    I'm going down there this weekend. Its supposed to be in the mid 70's on Thursday and Friday, but rain and 64 on Saturday .that should get the temp up a little and get them running .

Do skips bite good in the rain? I'm not sure when to go. Sunday is supposed to be partly cloudy with a high around 55

3. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Update to the update, my buddy and I went back today 04/10 arrived about 7:30 AM, it was cloudy, cold, and wind out of the north, I didn't take enough clothes and was quite uncomfortable until about 1:00 PM. when the sun started to break through on occasion. We had a really, really good day, put 87 in the cooler with the vast majority caught between noon and 3:00, while we were still catching skips we had to leave at 3:00. Some were quite large in the 14 to 16 inch range.

bearcat and Catpaw like this.
  4. Tyrant

Tyrant Active Member

State:
    Corbin KY
    Name:
    Brandon
    I went down to KY dam today. We did better than I thought we would. Filled up a 50 qt cooler. Rained all day and was around 65.

5. Jbuck

Jbuck Well-Known Member

State:
    il
    Were they being caught all along the bank or concentrated in a very small area? I have seen it where everyone was catching skips and I have seen it where only three or four folks were. Would like to take the wife but she has not had enough practice casting to fish six feet from someone else.

6. Tyrant

Tyrant Active Member

State:
    Corbin KY
    Name:
    Brandon
    There was only a handful of people fishing for skips and a lot of people spoonbill snagging. We tried next to the dam from around 8am until about 845, working our way back. My buddy and I ending up staying the majority of the time at that pole to the right of the stairs. There was two guys to our left and one fishing from the stairs .they would come in bursts, first the guy on the stairs would get a few then us. Then nobody would catch anything for awhile.. I'd say it didn't matter where.

I do know I hooked into something big with my jig though. I was between the stairs and dam, then something took my bait hard and worked worked it's way back to the dam. At first I could barely move it off the bottom, then after I gained a few yards on it, it would start peeling drag again. Once it got close to the dam that was all she wrote and I couldn't get it off the bottom again. My lline eventually snapped. To bad none of the snaggers were there then .they could have helped lol

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    bearcat likes this.