ky and barkley dam

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman from owensboro, Sep 16, 2009.

1. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    is there any skips at the dams right now.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Route 62 was closed, across the Ky dam last Fri. Could not get below the dam. It was accessible from Gilbertsville ramp by boat. You might want to check before the long trip. No info on skipjack at either place.

3. catman_mark

catman_mark New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when u decide to take the trip let me know i will bring the boat.I would love to know how to catch skip jack.im from jackson county so its a long trip for me to.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Lil jigs and curly tails is an easy way to catch them or multiple jigs tied one above another . Jackson Co? I go to Warfork trout fishing some and camp @ Harrison hole when I can .

5. catman_mark

catman_mark New Member

State:
    kentucky
    is that in turkey foot? Im from the other side of the county. Ive been wanting to catch some skipjack for awile they catch alot in the river but nobody will tell u much. what time of year do you go or is it anytime?

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yes Warfork is @ Turkeyfoot . I will try to remeber the name of the bait shop down there you could call . Maybe pm johncatfish young of the TNR thread I think he knows the bait shop name . I live in Richmond and caught a jack the other day at clays ferry bridge so we have them in the KY river . When I fish Barkley dam it seems I do best in late spring early summer @ dawn and dusk .

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They run up to dams to spawn and I think they make a fall run as well .

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Last year Catrfish John and I caught 170+ below Greenup locks and dam on the Ohio 9/11/08. They should be running soon. You can catch some most any time I think just not in big numbers.

9. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    Just got back from Barkley and man was it slow.Maybe caught 20 skips and boy were the small. Gentleman told me hey haven't been there for a week.

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Wherebouts in muhlenburg do you live?Im around 30 mnutes east of rochester in Edmonson Co.

11. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    About 30 minutes nw of rochester in Bremen.

12. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey adam ...im looking to take a trip down there and fish the cumberland and maybe catch a few skips. dont really need them ..got plenty to last me till next year but it sure is fun to catch them

13. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    I haven't caught any in awhile below ky or barkley. I've been using frozen stuff the last few weeks. They've been hitt'n about everything! All the classic bait.

Sean

14. bigkat7698

bigkat7698 New Member

State:
    Bowling Green KY
    My father and I have been to Kentucky Lake Dam 4 times in the last 2 weeks and have caught 25-35 skips every trip (all sizes) including 103 this past Friday so we are done until next year. HWY 62 was closed but you can drive through the closed sign and turn left off 62 and get below the dam. One last thing you guys should try out the sabiki rigs that catfish-connection sells they made our fishing 100% better we spent almost no time re-rigging or tangled awesome investment..Now if the weather and the water would cool down we could put some of those skips to work on those winter blues!!!!

15. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    yeah i cant wait till the high temps for the days get below the 40s

16. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Guess I need to go there instead of Barkley where I always go . Is there bank access right now on the LBL side or ie. East side of the dam as opposed to Gilbertsville side ?

17. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the skippies are starting to run decently here. im gonna go out and try and catch some this evening and early morning.

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    supposed to be doing good at the dam.. i sure hope so...

19. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    I was at Barkley today. There were lots of small skip jacks but we never caught but one that was real nice.
    We only tried to get enough for bait. We did not spend more than 20 minutes catching the small ones.
    The last time I was at KY which was about 3 weeks ago you could access the bank from either side.
    Best wishes