krogers or lakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by JERMSQUIRM, Jul 20, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    should us fishermen toss all fish back to please the guys who just fish for joys or is it ok to eat the fish we choose.

im confused by the recent threads on the b.o.c. i spend $2000 ON A BOAT AND HAVE 10 ABUS COMBOS AT OVER $60 each and hundreds of dollars in gear. yet some think i should throw all my fish back so there grand kids can catch them. but i think that there will be more by then if not natural buy the stocking programs.

am i wrong. or should i spend $500 a month to get a couple pics and get fish from krogers for another $6.00 a lb. from the fisherys that stock the very fish i just bought back to the lakes.:confused2::tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out:

just woulddnt be the same for me. taking pics of the fish in the foam meat trays. if i cant keep the ones i catch i wont fish at all. why spend the $ to fish and then go buy then from over priced stores????? DOH. homer simpson is stupid but he can figure this one out. if i cant eat from wild anyone want any used gear or a boat, camping gear ect/////

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My first thought when I seen this thread was. "What on earth is a KROGER" LOL! I luv eatin fish. My only concern up here in this toilet known as Joisy is polution. The state has taken the time to produce a list of consumption warnins for the various bodies of water. CHOW DOWN BROTHER! LOL! At least we know that you are smart about your harvest and it ain't bein paraded around for viewin. Its eatin! LOL! :wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hear ya george, no doubt in my mind jerm. even eats all the leftovers:smile2:... well, from a cpr guy here... i keep fish to eat as well... just no more than i need, and i select what i keep and what i release to preserve the sport.. and yes, flatheads are good eatin! rollo

4. Laker2

Laker2 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Jeremey- I'm 66 and I've eaten catfish all my life. The only ones I throw back are the ones I'm too lazy to clean. :smile2::smile2::smile2: Seriously I don't think overfishing for cats is much of a problem here in Illinois.

5. padge3ike

padge3ike New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with you Jeremy. Its your choice. I read an article the other day on a study of catfish ages. The record blue cat that was caught out of Lake Texacoma was aged at like 20 yrs old. I think it weighed around 124 pounds. They said most blues that weigh 50 pounds or more are fairly young, those fish just grow fast for some reason. They have aged 8 lb blues at 35 yrs. old. So to me it doesn't make any sense to only keep small fish and throw back all the larger fish. And they also said that record fish died from the bone in its jaw getting infected and rotting away. They said it was where the hook was when caught. So maby All those big fish that are caught and go through all that stress from the battle of being pulled to the boat or shore die soon after being released . A 50 lbs + fish pulling on one end and a 150 lbs + man pulling on the other end, thats alot of stress for that fish's jaw. If this is true in some cases, that is a total waste of a good fish. Plus I would rather eat a young 30 lbs fish than an old 8 lber. LOL.

6. foxkidd44

foxkidd44 New Member

State:
    shelbyville,illinois
    i keep and consume all that i catch..if they aren't to small that is..........alot of catfish sitting in my freezer.....

sure is nice to have a catfish dinner when it's -12 outside.

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Not much more to say than what has already been said....

Only thing I have found is the bigger blues and things often taste kind of rubbery in comparison to young meat. But ya... eat what you want. I too am tired of hearing the screams for CPR and DONATE $$$$.... Gets old and I am with ya on this Brother.

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I release them all,but I use to keep a few when I felt like cleaning them. Nothing wrong with keeping what you catch its your fish do what you want as long as its legal!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Same here Jason!!!!

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you guys dont have to worry about me killing to many trophy blues. never caught a single one yet. there not native here. only a few lakes about an hr away have them and those are stocked there so your not destroying the resource. there man made there. but i dont frequent them.

mainly channels for me. a flathead here and there.

i dont waste nothing:wink:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats a shame some cant even fish a river thats 1/2 ass clean.:embarassed:

our industrial revolution was great wasnt it?:confused2:

ours here are not great but the limits are not EAT NOTHING but a meal a week or month depending on sizes.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I CPR too. I practice along the same lines as Rollo. I only keep when I want to eat fish, and just enough to eat. I'm selective on what I keep for eaters, releasing the bigger to reproduce. Keeping to eat, or releasing to reproduce or catch again another day is strictly a personal choice. Jeremy, you can eat all the fish you want, makes no difference to me. Its your choice. I dont think any less of you keeping fish, or for feeding your family, no one in their right mind would. I believe the fish you keep arent being wasted. Keep all you need brother, I'll CPR a few for ya. :wink:

13. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You know what there are lots of people around here that I think dont know that fish do REPRODUCE. I have also learned that mother nature takes care of her own. I also think of it this way if they wernt meant to eat man would not have learned to fish or they would be poisonous.

14. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    DNR puts an individual limit on the amount and type of catfish you can keep. If they thought these same fish would be over harvested, there would be no limit allowed. Eat and enjoy, I am not concerned about sportfisherman wiping out the catfish population. It is the commercial fisherman that worry me.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i release all females during the spawn that appear swolen with eggs. i DONT keep everything i catch though. let me make sure thats clear. and like i said in the past when i get the freezor to the point i know ill have fish anythime during the winter i just fish for fun. i caught a 7-8lb channel last year when my cuz was with me. i said do you want it? he said why? i informed him my freezor was stocked and i wasnt keeping anymore. i saked again. are YOU gonna clean it? he said no. it was put right back in as well as the rest we caught.

and my oldest boy eats a little but thats it. wife grew up in florida. she dont like catfish.

we however released NO beers.

16. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i am allowed 70 catfish of any kind in the freezer
    i fill my limit and eat a few here and there
    mostly we keep channels but we do harvest flatheads 20lbs and under so every year we keep around 20-25 flaties for the table

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i give more fish away than i keep. if someone wants to have a fishfry, i will go out and spend a day catching channels for them. if im alone, and i catch a few, i might keep about 6 of em. if im fishing with someone and they wanna keep the fish we catch, i let em have them. if its late and i dont feel like cleaning fish, i let everything go. i havent caught a lot of flats and blues, so i dont have much of a report for those

18. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I don't think recreational fisherman could do much harm, and i'm not at all against commercial fishing. I believe every man in this country has a right to fish according to the law. However, a couple of years ago, After a morning of fishing on the Kaskaskia, south of carlyle. I saw two commercial fisherman with a 24 foot jon and they had their boat filled almost to the top with flatties. Sizes ranging from two lbs. to over fifty. If i had to guess, i would say at least 200-300 fish- all flatheads. Now, I'm sure that those men worked pretty hard those fish and i know that all of them were cleaned, but i think that maybe some sort of restrictions could help the fishing be even better. Then again, I don't do the creel surveys either! It's all a matter of opinion and personally, i release all the biguns.

19. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catch n eat! biggest was 21 lb blue, ate it & mmmmmmm good
    don't catch enough big uns to do any damage but believe if you catch it you should eat it, not sell it. Commercial fishing can be damaging IMHO

20. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I personally have no problem with anyone who practices catch an release...I don't do it myself unless they are pretty small. I have never been faced with letting a big one go as I have yet to catch anything worthy of the consideration. But, to each his/her own, we have a pretty decent fishery in Southern Illinois I hope it stays that way.