Kristine's most successful fishing trip yet

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Eithne, May 28, 2006.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Well today's catches certainly made up for yesterday's fishing failure. John and I went to St. Vincent Lake again, planning on getting more bait for the PA Gathering in two weeks. I had checked the PA fishing regulations thoroughly to verify that corn was indeed a legal bait/light chum this year and found it to be true. Which made the local's suggestion to use corn a reality for us.

I had set up the light rods first and threw them out for some bluegill. Much to my surprise, one of the rods almost ended up in the water when a carp grabbed the bait and ran with it. I made sure to loosen the drag more from then on. :roll_eyes: As John was reaching down to grab him, the line broke and the fish slipped through his hands, but we still counted it as a catch. That was the beginning of my lucky streak.

Over the next four hours I got another 3 carp on the medium rods with the heavier line and one on the heavy cat rod. I also got an agressive little Pumpkinseed that took the 2/0 Gama octopus circle hook like a champ. :lol: That little bugger was not gonna let the carp get there first. So now he's in the fish tank awaiting his fate as flathead bait.

John enjoyed watching me catch all the fish and being the one to wrangle them on land. (In his defense, one of the carp was on his rod, but he handed it to me.) Towards the end of the trip, he had a good fight with another fish (not sure if it was a carp or catfish), but lost it about 15 feet out.

It was an overall enjoyable day with lots of kids around running to see what we caught. We even got to see a tiny channel catfish sunning itself at the top of the water. I swear she looked right at me, taunting me to catch her. :tounge_out:

Here's a few pictures of the carp.

Attached Files:

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congratulations Kris, nice looking fish thats the funniest Catfish I have ever seen ! That was a nice plug you gave John in there. lol Glad you guys had a good day out on the water.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    congrats on the catch,thanks for sharing!

4. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Nice catches, Kris and John! :big_smile:

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a good day of fishing, congrats on the catches.

6. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Sounds like you all had a great time. Can't wait for my wife to get her license and some time off so we can take the boys to the lake and make a day of it. My buddy Jeff got his wife hooked (pardon the pun) and now she won't let him go fishing unless she gets to go along too! Looking forward to some real good family outings with them this summer too.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Way to go Kris and John!

8. BamaCats

BamaCats New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Way to go Kris & John proud you had a good time.

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Ahhhhhh.
    Makes a "chatroom dad" proud!
    Way to Kris!

10. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks everyone! It really was a nice way to spend my day off. What made it even nicer was seeing all the families out fishing too. Especially all the moms and dads showing their kids how to fish. From what I heard, it seemed like the girls had better luck fishing than the guys in every group. Nice to see that the fish know whose hooks to bite. :lol:

Oh! And I completely forgot about the water snakes. Yeah, not nice of them to sneak along the shore towards me while I'm watching a bluegill play with the bait on my hook. The darn thing had the nerve to send his little buddy along the same path not 5 minutes after too. I was just glad to be up on shore with an extra fishing rod to fend them off with. I hate snakes...

11. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ain't Carp just a lot of fun. I think they fight better than thier relative, the Bass.:lol: