Koi for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flatheadhunterx, Jun 15, 2006.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i know they are expensive to use for bait but i found a two ponds that have thousands of them in them that are from babies up to 5 or 6 pounds. so i have been catching some and trying them for bait. the one i been using are 4 to 8 inches long anything i through back to spawn next yr. but i seem to be catching blues over flatties 2 to 1. they live for hrs on a hook.but i am puzzled about why i catch more blues on them any ideas?

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    because there are more blues looking looking at your bait. I would check on what you are using for bait. many of those fish are worth thousand of dollars as they are collected. Could the pond belong to someone who raises then.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i wouldnt think that someone was raising these i guess someone let some go yrs ago and they just multiplied because it is a run-off pond for a shopping center. we had to wack trees and bushes for about 75 yds to even find it. there is no way to see it. the only way to it is the path we cut. it was a pond i fished as a kid then it was drained bout 15 yr ago to build the shopping center and i guess a sring or something still feeds it cause it hasnt dried up. i took one to a pet store and they are no special breed of koi they said they were just common japanese carp of no value other than looks if someone didnt want to pay for a good breed. i have caught a few with serious problems like crooked backs and missing fins. i just know they are lively as all get out. just have to watch for snakes getting them killed 3 last time i was there. the security guard opens the fence for us to get in so i suppose its ok to get them.

4. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    You never know maybe some PETA people liberated them from a pet shop:roll_eyes: and now you are impaling the poor little things with sharp objects:eek:oooh:

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    My local bait dealer got a bunch of koi fish in last week selling them $8 a dozen, not too bad if you ask me, but I don't buy bait all that often.

Aaron

TA2D

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I always wandered if koi would work as bait. Everytime I go into the chinese restaraunt and look in there little fountain/pool with the koi in it I'm tempted to get some bait:big_smile:

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that they are just an offshoot of the common carp, I may be mistaken, but they sure do look like them! I even had one in my bucket that was a mirror koi, only a few scales on it.

Aaron

TA2D

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    As far as I know, the Koi is a relative of the Carp. They have an average life expectancy of about 20+ yrs. People who breed them for sale will generally get paid more for the Koi with multiple colors. They say that no two are alike for the patterns. They are also a very hardy fish ( i guess that they would have to be to live as long as they do). I have no personal experience with them, just what I have read in books.