Koi for bait in the Missouri river

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by duckalot, Aug 22, 2007.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have a friend that is going to give me some very large koi (Gold fish) that he has in his pond. He said that they are way to big to use as live bait.
    I am going to use them for cut bait. Has anyone ever tried this? I wolud think it would be like fresh cut carp there in the same family.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    How big is too big? If your buddy fishes for cats on the river, he's probably right, but lots of people that don't fish for hogs think that 6" bluegill are too big:wink: I don't know why they wouldn't work as cut bait, but you could probably sell them to a pet store for decent money if they're the ornamental pretty koi. Just a thought. Koi are pretty pricey.

3. duckalot

State:
    Missouri

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Just be sure they don't get released into the river or any other public waters. They're a non-native species just like their flying asian cousins and have no place running free in our waters.

5. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Bingo. I've seen a large koi swimming around in shallow water @ Jacomo (at the very end of Liggett Cove) so they can survive in unfamiliar waters. We're already up to our armpits in Asian Carp, I can't imagine it'd be a good thing to introduce more problems.

6. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are exactly like a common german carp which we have millions of in every waterway. They just bred some that had color. I raise them in some of my ponds. I would love to have some of those 3 - 5 pounders. I have bought several of them and they are very expensive. I know a guy that has sold some of those big ones like you are talking about for $100 +.

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    How are they "exactly like a common german carp"? Their aberrant colors are the result of propagating generations of genetic mutation. They're a non-native species, period.

In fact, here's a wikipedia entry that discusses their impact. Granted, most of these points don't apply to the MO River (where clarity and swimming are hardly issues of contention):

Koi have been accidentally or deliberately released into the wild in every continent except Antarctica. They greatly increase the turbidity of the water because they are constantly stirring up the substrate. This makes waterways unattractive, reduces the abundance of aquatic plants, and can render the water unsuitable for swimming or drinking even by livestock. In some countries, koi have caused so much damage to waterways that vast amounts of money and effort have been spent trying to eradicate them, largely unsuccessfully. Because of the danger to the environment koi possession is illegal in many parts of America, South America and Australia.

It is probable though that if they were to go rampant in the MO, it would be yet another forage source for big blues and flatheads. But how would it affect the native forage species? One thing is for sure, they'd be easier to spot than the silver carp. :big_smile:

8. duckalot

State:
    Missouri

Don't worry Marty, They are going to be chunked up or filleted before i get to the river. He is going to feed them tonight and shoot me a couple with his bow too try Fri. night. Whisker Chaser if they are worth that much maybe i should go up there and try to take some of them alive.

9. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO

Funny you mention that. I have a good friend from Blue Springs who bass fishes Jacomo religiously. It wasn't but a month or so ago he was telling me how he hooked up with a very large goldfish out of there.

Sounds like duckalot is planning on chunking them up so it doesn't sound like it would be a problem....

I suppose Trout caught from a trout park would be considered a game fish and illegal to use as cut bait huh? Man do they ever hold a scent! ;)

grinnel

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I know I like a nice thick steak. Maybe those big cats will enjoy a nice thick koi steak. You will never know till you try. I know I would.

11. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    try to get some of them alive and sell them. It just seems like a huge waste to use them for bait to me when you can have the exact same thing using a common carp. But, if you wanna give it a whirl go for it. I paid $100 for 10 smaller koi this spring and thought that I got a good deal.