Koi Baits...

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 26, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    does anyone have any bait recipes for koi?? theres a bunch in this pond and they are huge! and we wanna catch em! any body know of any baits for koi????

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    does anyone know of any koi baits?

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    they are just a breed of carp. Big Red and Wheaties should work for u.

4. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    My favorite Koi bait:
    DYNOMITE..........:after_boom: ........:lol: :lol:

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    LOL! The reason i said that is i have a friend with some in his pond and we tried our darndest to catch em on R&R and couldnt. we couldnt even catch em in traps, we had to seign em. They were very aggrevating! :lol:

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Big Koi can bring high prices. Try corn.

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    FLY FISH-EM !!!! I've been trying to "hunt" them lately, the bowfishing is so tempting but I don't really want to kill them so badly, just catch one and get the fly back that one biggun stole from me last summer.:angry:

We got some HUGE ones in the local pond, I just bought some nice 8/0 snagging treble hooks, too....:roll_eyes: I actually had a close encounter with one 3 days ago... it was sitting very still underneath some logs with "dust" settled over it so it was brown, but when I spooked it the huge goldie shot out of there, sending a huge thrash and bursting into colors!!!

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I like to sight fish for them: ultra light equipment and a #14 treble balled up with white bread, no weight. The white bread will get it to the bottom.
    * Just interpret where you think it is heading, toss the bait in front and unless spooked already, it should pick up the bait. Just set the hook as soon as the bait disappears.

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona

10. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never caught one...used to be some huge ones in this pond down the road from me. I tried a couple times to catch them w/ bait but couldn't. The only way I was able to hook up one time was purposely snagging it...what a fight! I didn't get him in though...he took me to the bottom in the middle of the pond, snagged me(I think) and I couldn't move him from there. I also purposely snagged another one in another pond...the hook came out though. I used a pretty big treble hook and a bass sinker used for texas rigging...

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Are these fish in a landscape pond? People name them and call them pets, pay high prices for them, and show the damn things.

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't seen prices on them lately...but a "rising sun" koi, all white with a perfect red circle on the top of the head, were fetching $5,000.00 per fish, and there was another that was solid black with a white spot that were getting $10,000 a piece for. Normal pond koi 6-9" long are $15-20 a piece. Just a little FYI. Catch them and sell the buggers live!!!

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    all of them in there over 30 inches

all kinds of colors, had one snagged for about 2 seconds then it got loose, lol im gonna keep trying, weve tried all kind of carp baits, including wheaties with red soda, and they dont even look at it! o well me and JT (TX Catman) will keep tryin to snag em

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You try throwing a night crawler yet? That's all I use for carp back home.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Kevin,

I will tell you the secret to catch these things. First chum an area with a can of sweetcorn, leave for about 20 to 30 minutes and come back to the area. Then, put one piece of sweetcorn on a size 16 hook and cast it in the middle of the feeding koi. Make sure to be real quiet and don't let tehm see you. They spook very easy and will quit feeding.

USE 4lb Flourocarbon for your line.

Thry this and let me know how you do.

16. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would try trout chow mixed with cream corn esspecilly in the colder months.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i caught a 19 inch white koi last winter while trout fishing, and a friend said she wanted it. damn thing died on the way home, i guess i had it out of water too long in freezing temperatures. well waste not want not, so i made cut bait out of it, and the white skin on there seemed to get more hits than the regular cut carp i make.
    i chum water about a foot deep with corn, then about 20 minutes later throw a cast net out over it to catch little carp for livebait... lately we have been catching 4 inch gold and white koi running in with them. we heard about the high price folks pay for them, but couldn't find any buyers, even at the koi place here in town. i found out the reason was that these high priced fish are pedigreed, just like dogs.