Kobe Steakhouse:

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kat in the hat, Feb 18, 2009.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    SO...We got a new steakhouse nearby. It's called Kobe Steakhouse. Maybe you have heard of it...maybe not. At any rate, I was excited about the opportunity to try some Kobe beef. It's Japanese, and the best in the world...legendary, and graded at least Prime+. WAY out of my budget, but might could scrape up some money to treat ourselves once.

As far as I know, it is illegal to import beef from Japan, but back before it was banned, some Kobe beef cattle were imported, and allowed to "mingle" with the Angus herd...Thus we have "American Kobe".

So this brings me to my disappointing point. I just viewed their menu via the net. It looks great. They cook your meal right at your table. Real fancy. Too fancy for me. The thing is...they don't even have Kobe beef! Not even "American Kobe". All they have is regular ol' Certified Choice Angus Beef. Good enough beef in any body's book, but I can get the same thing at work...or Wal-Mart (not that I would buy meat from them, lol.)

I'm sure it is great and all. They have all sorts of sushi, and seafood...etc. I just don't see the point in naming a restaurant "Kobe Steakhouse", and serving Angus beef. Something alot of people probably wouldn't notice, or care about. To me, it's false advertising. :sad2:

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    just give it a try and see if you like it anyway,might be good!

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    There is a Kobe Steakhouse in Dallas that my wife and I get to once or twice a year. If the one by you is anything like this one I would highly recommend it. It is a little pricy, but worth every last savory bite. Man I am getting hungry just posting this.:smile2:

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't doubt it's good, and I will get around to trying it out. I just wish they hadn't got my hopes up with the name. Kobe is not a name to be tossed around lightly. I don't typically order steak when I go out to eat because I'm a pretty good steak-cooker myself. If I think they have something I can't do just as well myself, I will order it. Sometimes things just taste better when someone else cooks it for ya too. :wink:

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I totally agree with what your saying Matt, If you call yourself Kobe steakhouse, you should serve Kobe beef!!!!

6. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    we have one right up the road from us. its okay. overpriced. if you have never been to a place like this, bennihana (sp?), or similar then go ahead and go once for the experience but dont be expecting 5-star cuisine.