Knowing now

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by cathouse, May 9, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Just curious from my own compulsive buying , i was wondering knowing what you know now , what would you own as far as tackle if you were restricted to one rod and reel for the primary catfishing that you do , do you have it already or would it be totally different . just curious .

2. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    chris, i fish alot of log jams therefor i need horsing power. if i could have only one rig it would have to be my 7`6`` shimano talavera heavy action rod w/ my OKUMA MAGDA PRO REEL. the rod has a good sensative action w/ all the back bone you want. the reel is strong w/ a super smooth drag system. and w/ 40 +lb line i can turn most any big cat .

thanks for the chance to brag on my rig chris. n.c.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I did not even list my own rig of choice , I think if i had my choice i would have to say i probably would go with a penn 320 reel for the simple fact it has levelwind and because of the gear ratio , and i would probably have to stay true to my ugly sticks but would go for the 8ft. custom in xh . And of course power pro line with big game for leaders . Then i could still cross over to salt water when i visit home .

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I really wanted and was hoping to pick evary ones heads and give them a chance to brag on there tackle .

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris I have 7000c3 reels and Quantum Big Cat Rods. Great outfits. When I buy again I'm going to downsize to 6500c3 and Ugly Stiick Tiger rods. This equipment is a lifetime investiment. You want go wrong.:confident:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if i could only have one it would be my home made rod and my penn 209 65 lb.powerpro

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Mine would have to be 220 Penn and 7 ft ugly stick.. That will be what I replace my Tidewater and Shakespear Tiger Poles with.. I'll stick with the 50 lb Magic Braid that I use now..

8. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    johnnie, i`m not familar w/ power pro line, is that a braided or mono line? :confused2:

9. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    When Hunting The Big Boys I use Shimano's Calcutta CT - 700B Reel Spoiled With Power Pro's Hi-Vis Yellow 150# Test Braided Line, Berkley Big Game 50-80# Test Mono For Leader Line, WalMarts Cheapo Mono For Drop Weight Line And Shakespeare's 7' MH Ugly Stik Tiger Rod.

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    yes thats a braid.i started using it because of the way ive been fishing.i really like it in open water with a catbobber.around rocks and timber i switch back to 60 lb.mono.