Knowing how to find them catfish holes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by iceman, Nov 13, 2005.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    I'm still new to this catfishing thing and wanting to learn.What am i looking for as far as depth, structure,area, and such? i'm river fishing and sometimes do a little lake fishing. WHAT MAKES A GOOD CATFISH HOLE? any help would be great. :D

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    How about a little more info?
    Fill out your profile,what state /area/river/lake would help.Also what time of year?What type of cat are you targeting?

Sorry,but you question is like asking what is the best color for a house.

Details,man,details.

3. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    sorry Cook guess i wasn't thinking. I mainly want to catch some big flatheads. they say this is the best time to start. i'm in South Carolina.Hope this helps out!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In Rivers look for holes on the bends, alot of trees in the water also..Any kind of structure.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When chasing flatheads always look for structure adjacent to deep water. Such as mouths of creeks with downed trees or brush snags. these will produce large flatheads sometimes. Also along old creek beds in a lake up on the ledges around old tree trunks and root wads. At night in warmer months I like fishing in shallow water where bait fish congregate at the ends of sand bars on island tails next to a channel in the river.
    I hope this helps, Brother!

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    For river fishing look for outside bends and steep ledges(dropoffs) . I don't fish lakes so I am not much help there.

7. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I mainly fish near small feeder creeks with a lot of cover nearby. All of my flatheads have come either out of the thick cover or very near it. I normally fish pretty shallow for my flatheads since I fish only at night. The flatties come in to the shallows at night to find the hiding baitfish near the banks and the cover.

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm in s.c. also.Jump over to the s.c. section and give us a holler and a little more info on your location and maybe someone is in your area :D

9. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    in lakes i usually drift the flats,preferably 30 ft.deep and try to cross over channels,use live or cut bait

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have not fished Flats, but for my catfish holes, I generally look for catfish. In the area that I fish, I generally will just start throwing baits, continue to do so until I find where they are hitting. Structure helps, depth helps, but one thing that I have found is that there is no true patern to cat fishing.

They are where they are and we jsut gotta find em'. :)

-Brian

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good advise here allready bro. i would add to fish after good rains while the river is rising. creek mouths are epecially good then. those bend holes they mentioned, fish the entire hole( front middle sides and tail). anything that blocks current also is worth a 20min. try,shallow or deep. if legal set some limb lines on your way down river too. those will tell you a thing or two by the end of the season. dont be afraid to toss rite in and under structure at times thats real important. fresh cut will sometimes be the key when they are nutral.

catch photo and release the biguns unless you dont like catching them in years to come!

n good luck to ya iceman.