Know anything bout bomber bassboat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by pamlee101, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    we are looking at a 1977 bomber. would like something easier to take out for 2-3 hours than our big boat, but also low cost cause all our money went for the big boat :sad2:. all i can find on the net about the bomber is that they are made by fiberking in TN.

if anyone knows anything bout these boats we'd appreciate your input.

thanks, pam

2. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    The first boat I bought with my own money was an old brown metalic Bomber bass boat.
    Thing was a 15' tri-hull with a 70hp evinrude. I ran it for 4 years and sold it for more than I paid.
    It was a very open boat with only two permanent seats on boxes in the back and a place for a pedestal on the front and back decks.
    In chop it road like a log wagon, but I put a lot of hours on that old boat. It had two livewells and was a great "beat around" boat.
    I had to do alot of odd and end repairs to keep it in decent shape, but it served me well.

Just like any used boat, make sure the transon is strong and the motor is good, just about anything else can be repared pretty easy.

3. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    thanks RivrLivn, this one is fiberglass. has 85hp johnson (i think... need to check again) that he says runs great but the trim doesn't work. 2 live wells, 2 seats for running and 2 up high for fishing, 2 bench seats with storage underneath (with rotten plywood) it is a trihull which i would hope would ride ok AND be stable enough to stand up for fishing. paint is peeling but hull seems sound. they are ok about a seatrial with it after i convinced them the authorities would understand taking it out just a little without it being registered (i hope they will be anyhow). comes with trolling motor, old eagle depthfinder (silent sixty one) and hummer fishfinder (lcr2000). i think it is 16-18 ft (forgot my measuring tape) and beam is around 6 ft.

i have no experience with this type of boat (or fishing from one) so all opinions and advice are appreciated.

4. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pamlee101,
    Just be sure and check the transom to make suer it's good and solid on that old of a fiberglass boat. Mine was also fiberglass (it just had a pretty metal flake in the dark brown paint:eek:oooh:) and by the time I sold it the stansom was starting to have a little flex to it.
    The boat was very stable, I often overloaded that little boat with 4 to 6 adults and 2 kids and had a blast. Those old tri-hulls don't cut through the waves very good, but no one flew out either and it would run pretty shallow.
    I had to rebuild both my seat boxes as well. Mine didn't have a permeneant gas tank I just had two of the 6gal portables with premix under the back deck.
    Bringing back some good memories of that old boat.

Have fun.

5. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    yeah, this one has gas cans under the stern platform. premix? Lee probably knows what to mix it with and how, but i would be lost with that. the four winns likes her gas straight, and with a chevy 454 bigblock she like plenty of it. that's another reason for wanting a small boat for fishing in sometimes.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 73 model bomber tri hull that rides and fishes like a dream. Has a 85 hanging on the back and will do about 29 mph the way it is set up now. I bought it to resale but have taken a liking to it and use it about as much as the big boat. If it is in good shape go for it, but do check the transom and bottom.

7. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    the transon seems fairly good except it is starting to crack at the motor. not on the outside, but where it molds over and down into the drain type area right in front of the motor. Lee jostled the motor pretty good up/down and side to side and the transom didn't seem "soft". just the cracks on each side of the drain to the outside edges of the motor.

bottom has plent of scrapes on it but no signs of holes or cracks or soft spots in areas we could reach to run a hand over.

also noticed that mice have been nesting in front storage compartment.

he is asking $1500, his son said he would probably take $1200 for it. might even be able to get him a little lower than that.

so what do ya'll think?

also going to post a thread on comparative merits between this one and the other we are looking at.

we really need advice/guidance from people with more experience than we have.

thanks, pam and Lee

oh yeah, we measured and it is 16ft with 6ft beam.