Knots!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by ac30treb, Sep 2, 2008.

1. ac30treb

ac30treb New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We were having a very slow night on the shore last night. After several hours, my pole went down HARD. Long story short, I lost (what felt like) a seriously nice fish. Turns out, my knot came undone.

Here's a site with some knots on it.
    http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

I've always used the "Improved Clinch" but after last night, I'm looking for some advice.

What do you guys like to use? This has been buggin' me all day.

2. phlatheadphatty

phlatheadphatty New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the improved clinch at least 90% of the time and fish with my 4 kids and wife so have tied it quite a bit . But the heaviest mono I have used it on was 20 lb , I could see it coming " unclinched " or loose on heavy mono . I have been giving the polomar some trial runs and am starting to trust it , even though its so simple , steady pulls on a spring scale have produced no failed knots . Tends to fail in the strand with my redneck pull test instead of at or in the knot . Just a thought , maybe tying a overhand knot on the tag end would help secure without sacrificing strength , if you want to keep the knot your familliar with ?

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Palomar, No less, No more. Dont trim the tag end to close. :wink:

4. ac30treb

ac30treb New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Interesting insight. I was using brand new line. (50lb braided) I had the Palomar on the hook but I was also using a three way swivel. On the swivel side, I had an Improved Clinch. That's where I came untied. Maybe I'm not as far off as I thought.

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i had same prob with heavy line theas guys convinst me to try the palamar iv ben using it ever sins no more knot problems

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I snell my hooks to my leader then use a palomar to tie on the swivel and then a palomar to tie the swivel to the main line. But you have to tie the swivel to the leader first and then to the main line it doesn't work the other way around. I use 80lbs. Power pro on my rods with an 80lbs. mono leader and have broke 8/0 circle hooks off at the shank of the hook before any of my knots came loose.

7. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    I use a Palomar knot any time I'm tying braided line.The slick finish on braid seems to come loose on other knots.It's easy to tie and vey strong.I can actually tie it by feel on a dark nite.Works on regular line,too.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I used to use the improved cinch, but switched to the palomar because it was easier and faster to tie.. And you can do it in the dark alot easier with practice..

9. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When you use any type of braided line, the palomar knot is the only one to use.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I only use the Palomer knot. Braid or mono, doesn't matter, Palomer is the strongest knot. If tying a Palomer with mono, just make sure to make it as tight as possible.

11. ac30treb

ac30treb New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This forum is great. I appreciate that no one here says things like "use the search feature" or try to flame me for loosing a fish. Just solid info and positive vibes. Thanks.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I mainly use 3 knots. When tying braid, I use only the polymar knot. When I'm tying large diameter mono, I will either use the improved clinch, or a snelled knot. I just don't trust a polymar with the large diamater monos. I will usually tie the improved clinch to the swivel, and depending on if I have a offset hook or not, I'll use the improved clinch or snell. Here lately I've been snelling alot more rigs though.:wink:

13. ac30treb

ac30treb New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've only used the snell knot when I'm tying up rigs on my porch because I'm not very good at tying it. I think it looks impressive.

14. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    LOL you should tie a knot for security not too impress.... I have in my old days tied the grandma 6 times in a row...NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL BUT DOES WORK! IMO your gonna slap yourself one day for the wrong knot choice cause it does happen...Otherwise welcome brother!

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    LOL Welcome to the BOC Gabe.

16. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Don't worry Gabe.. We'll let you get sttled in and comfortable before we start picking on you.. But just get ready cause it will start before you know it..

17. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    very nice web site lots of great knots

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I fish with braid line and I use nothing but a UNIKNOT it works great and I never ever been broke off or had a knot come undone.It easv to tie just go to animated knots.com. You can't use just any ole knot with braid because they will slip.Palomar or Uniknot are very strong.:big_smile:

19. ac30treb

ac30treb New Member

State:
    Illinois