Knots

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dodge man 79, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dodge man 79

dodge man 79 New Member

State:
    Sabula Iowa
    I fish with braided spiderwire and would like to know what type of knot to use and how to tie it thanks

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Trent I use a braided line as well. I use the Palomar knot to tie my hook to my leader, and I use the Trilene knot to tie my leader to my swivel, and my swivel to my mainline. Its a strong rig and should hold up for you pretty well. Here is a link for the knots , just follow the directions step by step. Good luck fishing this spring and summer. :)

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

3. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
  4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    polymer or double uni knot

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    This is the best all purpose knot. I can tie it in the dark and its easy to teach to a kid. I used to use the improved cinch, but not since I learned the polymer. I have never had one fail.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    UNI is the knot I use for braid and it has never failed me.I have not been able to break this knot on stumps or fish.Just for the record its PALOMAR unless of course you are tieing polymer then it could be a Polymer knot.:) :rolleyes: :p :cool: ;)

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'll have to second the uni-knot too. I have had a few failures with the palomar on braided. The braided will still fail if you aren't careful tightening the knot. Just a little too much friction will weaken the line enough to fail. It took me awhile to figure out what was doing it. Lubricate, tighten evenly and slowly.
    With the uni-knot, I follow the same procedure, but the knot can be tightened snugly, then slide it down against the hook or swivel eye, then finish tightening. I have had zero failures with this one, and it also works really well for snelling hooks or joining lines together. It's an easy knot to learn, too.

8. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I use Uni, Improved Clinch, and polamar. I think they all work the same.

9. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    polymer knot works great look it up on yahoo if you dont know how to tie it.. hope u hook a big one

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Well heck, I thought this was a thread dedeicated to the memory of Mr. Don Knotts aka Barney Fife, may he rest in peace. Not sure but he may have made me laugh more than any comic i have ever seen.....

Thanks Don

egg

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    kieth thats a great site there thanks for shareing that with all of us.
    and great profile pic too by the way. looks like a prehistoric predator
    sniffing out lunch.:cool:

a fellow member SEAN posted a great knot site too a while back here it is
    to thanks to him for posting it as well

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Egg if you're looking for a good comedien find somthing by andrew "dice" clay funny guy. As for knots with braid, double your line then tie whatever knot you want. It will last longer and be stronger than if you tie it single strand.

13. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Excellent knot tying site. Thanks.

14. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Another excellent knot tying site. The animated tutorials almost make it seem that a friend is sitting with you, showing you how to tie them.

I've used the improved clinch knot exclusively since I was a kid; the comments I've read on this post have convinced me to try the palomar and uni knots. Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks (knots).

Thanks.

15. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I also use polomar knots and have never had one fail, they are simple to tie and very strong.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The thing that really concerns me about knots is their breaking strength. Each knot has a different strength... if tied properly it may retain 85% of the lines strength... for a 20 pound test line, that is 17 pounds... IF PROPERLY TIED. For 12 pound test line, it is 10.2 pounds. So, if your fishing with 30 lb line as your main line, when you tie the first knot, your line strength became 25 lbs. If your using 20 lb line for your hooks, it's strength is now 17. We have lost about 1/2 of our lines strength due to having to tie knots. And we fasten our sinkers on with say 12 pound test line. So, when snagged, we should first loose the sinker, next the hook and lastly, break of main line. AwShucks, this fishing is getting to where we need to take a calculator with us... and you know what... they don't even tell you what the rated strength of a palomar, clinch, snell, etc. knot is... you have to figure it out yourself.

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Had to bring this one back out in the open!!!

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont believe that a properly tied knot loses any strength. I think if properly tied it is just as strong as the main line.