Knots

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dusky, May 12, 2007.

1. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
  2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    palamor, drooper loop, and improved cinch knot will pretty much cover all the scenarios you'll cover with the exception of splicing line to line. That's about all I use or even need.

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I snell my hooks and use the palomar and trilene knots for swivels and such.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    These are all I ever use. To splice 2 lines together, I use an albright knot. I don't do that very often though. It's good to know how to do it incase it's needed though. I used to use it to attatch a sinker on light line to heavy line for fishing on rocks to sacrifice the sinker if it gets hung up.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. The palomar and trilene knots are easy to tie and work good. Keep it simple.:lol: :big_smile:

6. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    The palomar's a great knot that will almost always test at a 100% but it doesn't have very good shock absorption and can snap if a fish runs hard. I mostly use the Uni Knot for tying hook to leader, only I pass the line through the eye twice to give it a little more strength.

7. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    palomar, not even close my leader breaks b4 my knot.

8. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Uniknot- you can use it for the hook (although I quick-snell mine), swivel, even line to line.

9. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
  10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i snell all of my hooks, but i use the palomar knots on all of my swivels.

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    The Shell knot is by far the best knot for a hook and not all that hard to tie I can do 100 hooks in and 30 min

12. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I was reading some reviews on Power Pro line and one guy suggested using super glue when you tie your knot. Is this a common practice or somebody just being over cautious?

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    i use an improved clinch knot for almost all of my fishing. Two splice 2 lines together, i use a blood knot.

14. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't think of it as being overly cautious, just as an added safety precaution.

15. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Interesting. I've Never seen a snell tied that way before. I always used the uni knot system for tying snells, but I think I'm going to switch to this method now. It's so much quicker to tie and seems to hold a lot better.

16. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I like trilene knot for mono and polamar for braids.Strong and easy.

17. jcara3043

jcara3043 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hi Dusky,
    You will have to bear with me I am new to the site. I use 20- 30 lb test on my poles for Mr. Whiskers, cause you never know. I use Trilene Big Game line (green). My set up has been the same for the last 30 years and I have never had a problem with the fish.
    But the rocks and trees are a different story ha ha I feel your pain.
    I use a 3 way swivel:---- From the pole to the swivel I tie a trilene knot, my 3" sinker line I use 10 lb test and use a Surgeons Loop and loop it thru the weight. I use 2- 3 once sinkers
    My hook line I use the same weight as my pole line or 5 lbs less. The knots I use on the hook and swivel is a Trilene on the swivel and a polimar knot on the hook.
    So basically I tie all my knots on the swivel in a trilene knot and the hook I use a polimars knot. my leader line for the hook is about 24 inches long.
    So Mr. Whiskers can run with the bait in its mouth before setting the hook.
    I use the lesser weight in the lines so when I get snagged I can just apply alot of pull and pressure and I am only loosing the section that is caught and not the whole rig ...... 9 times out of 10 I just loose the weight portion or i pull uop whatever it was catch on.

Thank you for your time and patience
    Jesse in TN

18. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    Palomar anytime it's feasable(sp?).

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I used the improved clinch knot all my life until recently. I switched to the palomar and like it alot better. If you are using hooks with up turned eyes then you will need to learn how to snell them.