Knots

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Jun 9, 2009.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm told that the snell knot is the strongest knot.
    I've been practicing it some but what about the other end of the leader?

Can't tie a snell knot there so what knot is the 2nd best?

Currently I just tie what I call an overhead knot. Double the leader, make a loop, and pull the doubled line thru the loop.

Whats the recomended knot for the swivel end.

BTW what knot do you use to tie on your swivel?

Have a good 1
    just

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    its personal preference, I use the polamer knot.

4. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    palomar or if you like a loop try surgeons loop

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Palomar.For 99% of my fishing I use 2 knots-the palomar for line to terminal tackle and the double Uni-knot for line to line connnections.:wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Snell the hooks and Palomar knots for everything else.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Another Palomar,,:big_smile:

On In fisherman they do a Knot Wars every year and the Palimar is the strongest knot out there,,Ive gotten where I dont even snell my hooks anymore "Im Lazy" I use the Palamar on the hooks to...:wink:
    Puddle

8. trapperP

trapperP New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Palomar +1 for 90% of my knots, Improved Clinch for lines of 6 # and under,
    "I Don't Know Name" knot for 200# leaders.

9. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I believe the palomar and trilene knots are both stronger than the snell. A modified albright or plain alright is a great knot if you want to forgo a swivel. Another easy to tie line to line connection is the seagur knot. I can tie it in the dark, which is handy for cats.

10. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use 2 improved cinch varients, the double loop I use for snaggen hooks and big bait hooks I run the line thru the eye and runn it thru again hold the loop with my finger and twist and runn the tag thru just like a reg cinch knot. I learned the sacromento jamb this year real easy to tie strong as heck. About the only 2 knots I use.

11. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Palomar for Conecting to hardware, doubled-up if using braid. Uni to uni for connecting line, mono or braid, double the braid. For loops I do surgeon variant, I wrap the loop through 3 times instead of two. That's about all I use Freshwater or salt.

:cool2:

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use a snell or palomar not on hooks. Sometimes I use a Rapala knot. When I have the hook tied on, I make the line as long as I think it oughta be for the situation, then double it and tie an overhand knot with 2 or 3 times thru the loop. I think it called a surgeons knot, I'm not sure. I brought in a 44 inch musky using a palomar knot on 15 lb line.

13. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I gotta go with the polamor knot too, it's simple & strong good all around knot

14. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but I'm a big fan of the Palomar knot :smile2: ........................ seriously though, I have used it for everything from suckers to lunge and I am yet to find a fish that can break it. IMO if it breaks a Palomar knot then you weren't landing that fish regardless of the knot you tied.

15. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I like palomar for my hooks and sometimes on my swivels, but I really like this knot it's called the rivers inlet knot and its right above the palomar on this page: http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_knots.html

I really like to use it on my swivels because my bead fits snug over the knot and dont move. I've never had a problem with my line weakening while tying this knot either, and it's very easy!

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use a modifide snell , i wrap it alot more abot twelv wraps never had a snell ever come off, ill stick with a snell, i cant even tigh a palamor knot,i tried looking at the pics but cant do it

17. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i use a palomar for everything, use to use an improved clinch on the hook, but the palomar is easier, and stronger

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never knew it but i use the clincch knot nut i tie one then another one ontop of the first clinch, i cant eem to get the palomer down, ive looked at the step by step but i cant do it, i need a slower step by step, i want the palamor for tiying my reels

19. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Here a good site Jake and for anyone else who wants to learn different knots.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/

Sorry didnt even see that Bud had posted it also!