Knots

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by simpsonese, Jun 4, 2009.

1. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey all, kinda new to this and was wondering what my best knot is going to be for my rod and reel fishing, I have tried a regular fisherman's knot and a palomar knot and have had luck with both. Any suggestions?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got one suggestion. Put up a pic so we know what ya look like. LOL! :cool2:

3. simpsonese

simpsonese New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Workin on it, going to the river this weekend and hope to have a picture then!

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    What kind of line? For mono I use a polamar knot. For Braid I use a snell knot with the line ran twice through the eye of the hook.
    Most important thing when tieing a knot is to wet the line before you cinch it down. Alot of heat builds up when you cinch down mono and will weaken the knot.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just go with the palomar.. quick and easy. :big_smile::wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kirk I like to Snell my hooks and use the Palomar for all others knots.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 3 basic knots on all my rigs. I use an arbor knot to attach the mainline to the reel spool, I use a palomar knot to tie my main line and leader to the swivels, and I snell my hooks.

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I like to carolina rig so hear it is...A weight or choice i like no-rolls but sometimes a bank or egg...Then a bear or snker bumber...then palomar knot a barrel swivle then i tie a leader to the barrel swivle with a improved clinch knot...lick the line before you tighten it...then i snell a hook!!!
    O and i forgot..If you back your main line with mono....assuming you use braid!! I like the no-name knot to tie the backing to my main line!!and i use a mono leader!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
  10. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i noticed alot of you are snelling your hooks,, is it better than a clinch? thats what i use cause its easy

11. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I like the snell cause its a much stronger knot but I only use it when useing a leader. I dont tie my snell they way they do on that site. I run the tag end through the eye and hold it tight to the shank. Then I wrap the other end around the tag end and the shank about 7 to 10 times depending on the size of the hook. I then run the end of the line I wrapped around back up through the eye and pull tight. Its very easy to tie and can be done in the dark after alittle practice.

There is a video on here somewhere that was posted and they tie it the same way. I will try to find it for you.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    ABSOLUTELY!

I'm still wondering what the best knot is for tying my braid to the monofilament backing. What knot do you folks use to join two lines together of similar diameter. So MANY knots, so many choices. :big_smile:

Bill in SC

13. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
  14. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
  15. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I dont use braid, but I think you could probably use an albright knot joining your braid to mono.

16. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
  17. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota

I've always used the improved clinch on everything. But I'm going to try some of the knots you boys have been talking about. Man is a creature of habit and can get stuck in a rut sometimes.

Thanks for all the good input. :big_smile:

18. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    I use the Uni-Knot for darn near everything. Sometimes i'll snell a hook but I ain't had a Uni fail me yet!