Knots

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Buckedup, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    I have always tied a palomar knot but noticed in the library that people like to tie snells. What is the benefit? I have excellent luck with palomar and knot strength is fanatastic. Any insight would be helpful and thanks in advance.

2. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I use the polamor for leaders and such. And I use the snell for my hooks. and it works great.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use palomar knots whenever possible too. I believe that one of the main benefits of a snelled hook is possitive hook-set. With a regular knot, the eye if the hook can pivot within the knot. With a snelled hook, the line will always be in line with the shank of the hook. Plus, the line twisted around the shank acts like a shock absorber. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. That's just how I understand it.

4. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    There is nothing wrong with the palomar.

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I usually have a snap swivel to hook on to, but sometimes I don't and the knot depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. Most times I'm using a carolina rig.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Both are real good knots, I use a snell, but very rarely will either fail you

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Different knots for different applications.

The snell allows you to control the relationship between hook and leader, whereas the Palomar is excellent for tying leaders and line to swivels.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    When using the standard catfish Carolina rig, I use the Snell for the hook and a Palomar to the swivel and mainline. Both knots are proven to be the strongest.

Palomar knots are also good for tying on lures and jigs too!

You will see with the Snell that there is no way in hell that the hook can come unbuttoned:cool2:. Only way is of the leader breaks.

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If you look closely at how the snell knot holds the hook straight you will see how it would clearly help you get a good hook set. The snell knot is far and away a better knot for your hook.

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
  11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A snell is more of a wrap than a knot. How many knots do you need to wet because of friction, or be careful not to kink the line, or have to be properly cinched down not to cause weak spots? None of this holds true with a snell. If they made swivels with long shanks I would use nothing but a snell. Since they don't, I use a San Diego jam knot ( something I thought I came up with that actually had a name) lol, to tie my swivel with. :wink:

12. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've had good luck snelling the hooks and polamar the rest.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Mike on this.:0a27::0a27:

14. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for all the replies. The video was excellent. Looks like I'm snellen hooks.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've never been any good at learning to tie knots,,, but, I really believe the palomar and the snell are important to having quality, tackle rigging..so, I set myself down and learned how to tie them.. I use a few others, but, for the serious stuff, those are the knots I use...
    Until I learned those, my theory was,, If you can't tie a knot,,, tie a lot!!