Knots to spool line?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Jan 23, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was wandering what kinds of knots you guys use to put line on your baitcasters?I was trying to use the arbor knot but for some reason i cant figure it out.Thanks.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brinley,

Here is a diagram for the arbor knot:

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    James, I use a clinch knot for everything in my fishing requiem. I use it because it is a knot that I have become very familiar with and I can tie it rapidly. Vern

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wrap some electrical tape around the spool if you are using braid.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    the arbor knot always slips for me... maybe i tie it wrong or something but what i use is my own knot... very similar to a square knot but intensified. Basically wrap the line around the spool twice, then twist the tag end around the main line 4 or 5 times, then tighten it against the spool, then put another 1/2 hitch in it (bring the ends together and do 1 time around)... i guess its harder to explain then it is to show... i'll work on a diagram and see if i can't show you in a later post.

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Brinley, I tighten the spool knot just enough that the tag end knot wont slip through, then by pulling on the main line get the tag knot to slip right up next to the spool knot. Then you just ratchet both knots tight to the spool pulling on the main line.
    To eliminate braided line from slipping on the spool while winding I always put a backing of mono on first, say 5 yrds. then just use a peice of elec. tape to hold it. That gives the arbor knot something to grip.
    hope this helps.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Clinch knot works great for me. What kind of baitcaster do you have? I have a small shakespeare that is more for lure fishing that the line is tighed around the spool and a bigger tidewater that has a place on the spool like a small nail top for attaching the line.

8. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I guess I am paranoid,I tape the line to the reel.A big fish can have my line but not my reel or rod:)

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The Uni Knot is the simplest system to use for a multitude of tasks including tieing the line to the spool.Be sure and use tape for braid or some kind of backing.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree with jim the uni knot works well, it cinches to the spool good unless using braid then use enough mono to cover the spool once or twice then uni to uni your lines together and filler up. I usually dont use as manny wraps when tyeng the uni on the spool as my hooks because it makes a big lump in the spool. I also dont use as manny wraps when tying heavy mono because it doesen't cinch up as easy so it doesent slip as easy.

11. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Im with Truck- No big blue is getting my rod/reel. I tape my line to the spool also. Hasnt come in handy yet but I've lost rods because of lack of line and rod shooting out of the holder... Dunno..

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    I have 2 abu 7000s and a tidewater 30L.Im working on getting a 6500c3,thats in the works.So some of you guys are just putting tape to keep your line on?man and i was making this more difficult then it really is.But i think i might try afew of the knots that a few of you posted.Thanks again everyone,i dont know what id do without my BOC brothers and sisters.

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Guys, I don't know about putting the line on my reel with tape. Say for instance you hang the hog of your life and he runs you out of line. Personally I would rather take a chance on him breaking my line as I was fighting him than let him get off scott free for the lack of a knot. Also, all of my reels hold large quantities of heavy line like hundreds of yards and I would hate to think that there was a potential record fish swimming around with 300 yards of 30 lb test hanging from his mouth. Just my two cents worth. Vern

14. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    You make a good point there,i havent really thought of that.I was going to try some of them knots before i went with the tape anyway.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Apparently the knot i have been using is called the arbor knot, go figure. Works well for me, although i dunno if it would hold if all my line got dragged out. If im lucky that may happen before I die

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I just tie a square not. Maybe it's just me but I always keep my reels fully spooled if a fish pulls out that much line i'm starting the motor and going after him. Well that and I probably don't have a net big enough for him anyways.