Knots: Palomar vs. Trilene

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyron4, Apr 22, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Which is the better stronger knot ? Useing 25# Big game , either knot doesn't slide/cinch down very smooth, even when wetted in water. So any opinions on which is the better knot and the best may to tie it ?
    -Thanks

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've started tying polamar knots on everything except my hooks with turned eyes. The polamar knot is easy to tie, can be done in the dark pretty easy, and holds very well. Good enough for me.

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    The Palomar is what I have went to tying on everything. It is easy and quick. I tie it on 40 lbs Big Game without too much problem. I have to finess it down a bit but it works rather well.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I like to put in my vote for the "Palomar", one of the strongest knots I've ever used.
    :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Sahnia:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Snell on my hooks, Palomar on everything else... .. Remember, You have to put the leader on the swivel first, then on the line if you want to palomar both sides

6. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Till I get better at tying a snell I use palomer knots on everything. A WHOLE lot better than the improved clinch to say the least. Granted Im using 17lb Cajun but the knot should work for you quite well. Hope this helps,

Dru

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use a palomar on everything and so far in the 15 years I've been tying them, I can't remember a knot ever breaking.

8. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use the Palomar on everything except my crappie jigs. I use a loop knot on those so they swing and move more freely.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a27: :0a27: I agree with this post. Snell the hooks and palomar everything else. I have never had a knot problem useing this system.:lol: :smile2:

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Like Bert says.... "the strongest"...... but with live bait a uni knot is real easy and then rather that pull it tight to the hook.... I work it tight away from the hook and then it moves some to allow more of a "non attached" way for the bait to move better..... when a fish hits and I set the hook it will slide up tight.....

bayrunner ray

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I snell my hooks and use a palomar for everthing else.

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use polomar on all my catfish rigs and I use the improved clinch on smaller mono lines for bream.

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I like to add, with the Trilene, I have had the tag end slip back through and the knot come undone on me.. Cant have that with the Palomer.

The best knot you can use is one your comfortable with, can tie it consitantly with little effort, thought, or light and one you have confidence in.. So play around with a few and find the one that works best for you...

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Palomar, very easy and strong.

15. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Polomar knots and double loop clinch knots are all I use, and I think polomars are about the strongest and easiest knot you can tie.