Knots on circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Wallbass, Jul 27, 2008.

Which Knot do you use on Circle Hooks?

1. Snell

2. Clinch

3. Polamar

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So many people use differant knots on circle hooks. Some with Snells and others. Which Knot do you use and why?? Please take the poll...............Jeff :confused2:

2. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    strong and easy to tie in the dark.:wink:

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I like the improved clinch knot because it is stronger.

4. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    all hooks should be snelled, unless you're baitfishing. snelled hooks maintain the line strength and improve hook-up ratio.....

5. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    some of us just can't tie the dang things with old gnarly fingers.:smile2::smile2: Sup Aaron.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always use a douple clinch knot...I can remember having the knot fail twice in the last 6 years.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    pylamar all the way.doesnt matter if you use snells or not you still have to attatach the snell to your other line so i use a pylamar to attach the snell to my swevil.

8. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    I agree with germanmudfish, palomar is easier to tie with old fingers, and knock on wood, haven't lost one on account of a knot in probably ten years or so.:roll_eyes:

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    To those that think a snell is hard to tie... and up until April of this year I agreed, there is a way to do it in 45 seconds or less.

I run my line down thru the eye and lay the tag along the shank holding it with my thumb. The line away from the hook (long part) I grab tightly and wind 12-14 times around the hook and tag. After wrapping take the long end and run up thru the hook. Cinch tight and done.

IMHO it is much easier than tying the loop and running th loop over the hook required in the palomar.... of course maybe there is an easier way to tie a palomar? :wink:

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I found that the best knot is a ralpha knot. it's a loop-knot. This knot is pretty strong. That main reason I like it is because it allows the circlehook to rotate in the fishes mouth. It allows for more hook-ups.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I use all three knots. I just snelled a couple, but if I am tying a snap swivel on my line and putting the hook on that, I just use a palomar, clinch or improved clinch.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the clinch knot on all my tie ups ,except when using bank sinkers,I make a loop knot on those. As for hooks I been tying the clinch so long ,I can't seem to change.

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Palomar knots 100% of the time. Never had on fail yet.

14. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i like clinch knots.

15. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    I guess old habits are hard to break! I'll try these other knots, but by golly I am not giving up my lucky rabbits foot or thebuckeye in my pocket!!!:smile2:

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    palomar knot is easy to tie and super strong

17. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    :embarassed: I have no idea what the knot I use is called. Someone showed it to me when I was little bitty and I've used it ever since tying hooks and lures. I even use it to tie the mono to the eye on the tip of my scoping bream pole :roll_eyes: Have never had one break. If yall look at these pics and tell me what kind of knot it is, I'll vote in the poll :embarassed: Can't believe I don't know what it's called... just never really thought about it... just tied it.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BigOBear/Sethooks?authkey=LRV3vsYcQ1I

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I snell also. This links sums it up pretty well.

http://www.fishing.sh/htmfiles/knots/snelling.html

On my swivel I use my own clinch knot. Instead of passing the tag end threw the swivels eye one time, I go 2 times. The end result is 2 loops around the swivel...very strong. Regular clinch knots go threw one time, those I do break...not nearly as strong.

I don't have any knot failures...I swear . My line always breaks some where else, never at my knots.

Personally the snell knot is the easiest knot I've ever tied. They take 5 seconds to tie and 5 more to clinch it down tight... I'm satisfied with it and I have great results.

-Jim-

19. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use the Jansik its like the polamar meets the Snelled

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee