Knots, knots, knots

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by adam j, Nov 26, 2006.

1. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think this would be the right forum so here goes.

As a professional tree climber, amateur rock climber, fishing freak, and flytyer i know a few knots. I'm just curious what knots are getting used by the majority of you for your fishing and if you beef things up for trophy cats? My typical setup for large flats is 30lb big game with a bimini twist at the end, which is then girth hitched to a #7 ball bearing swivel. Girth hiched to the other end of the swivel is a leader of 50lb mono and another bimini twist to which i snell whatever particular hook i'm using.

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    For mono:
    Assuming the pound test is appropriate, I've yet to see or hear of a properly tied palomar knot ever being broken by a fish ... http://eaglespark.com/Knots/palomar.htm

When the palomer is not an option, I like the trilene since it goes thru the loop of the swivel twice ... http://www.fish4fun.com/TrileneKnot.htm

I honestly don't recall either of these falling me when I did my part. I've found, if you make the effort to tie the knot correctly, the simple, fast ones work very well.

3. jimmyk

jimmyk New Member

State:
    virginia
    i agree with Fishbrew. I use the trilene and have not had aproblem.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Adam. What type of snell knot do ya use?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess im old fasioned or just plain hard headed but if it aint broke i dont fix it ive been using the old clinch knot and some other knot to make droppers for ever and they work goodnuff

6. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I use the Palomar,and the Uni-knot. For snelling i use the Uni version.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I use the uni knot exclusively and love it.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A lot depends on the type of line, as well as the lb test of the line. With mono, I mainly use the improved clinch, a know I've tied for over 35 years, long before the Palomar came around. I can tie it in the dark and the Palomar sucks if you are tying to tie on a lure with multiple treble hooks. Its a good knot, but I tie a damn good clinch knot and faster too. I use the uni-knot, sometimes the Palomar with braided lines as the clinch doesn't hold as well. The uni knot is my go to knot for lines over 30 lbs.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

palomar knot, half blood and modified cinch knots for me.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'm with Slimcat on this The UNI system handles anything including replacing the nail knot in flyfishing.I have tested this knot dozens of times against other knots by using the "Knot" machine at fishing shows and properly tied it wins again and again.Its all I use.:smile2:

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    the only knots I really know by heart are the trilene and the palomar. I use the trilene primarily.

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Double clinch or Palomar knot always worked for me. Ever hear of a monkey's fist knot? It's decorative but really cool.

13. adam j

adam j New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yep the monkeys fist pulled up tight into a ball is cool and actually I use a looser version to throw a climbing rope almost every day. Thanks for the response guys, like I said I'm a freak about knots and I love this stuff.
    Katfsn50 the snell knot I use is the needle or nail knot version. It's the quickest to tie and more secure than the many other ways to snell a hook.
    Either way taking the time to pre-snell a hook is stronger than tying a knot and when your dealing with heavy catfish, or at least the shot at one it's the way I prefer. Don't get me wrong I use a uni probably 90% of the time for smaller cats and almost all the time for bass. The polamar is a great knot too and the trilene gets the job done also. To anyone just getting into cattin look at the knots everyone is useing, learn how to tie one or two and start putting giants in the boat! If anyone wants to talk
    knots and rigging give me a shout.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like and use the palomar for most of my fishing. Trilene knot is my second choice.Both are excellent when tied correctly.

15. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm a knot nut too ! I use lots of different knots for different applications.

Here's a few links for you to enjoy and some of the other folks can maybe too.

Animated fishing knot website

Here's a couple of short animated knot videos. These are less than 30 seconds long.

One of my favorites The Centauri knot

The sliding snell knot

These next two are a little longer but informative and entertaining too.

Here is a short 2 minute video:

A snell on an eyeless hook

Here is a short 4 minute video:

The most important thing to do fishing !

Ooopsy here it is

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OXx8GEPIXc&NR

16. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
  17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    It's a Palomar or a Snell knot for me. :big_smile:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I use 'em all...they all have their applications.

No matter the knot, I pull the knot tight underwater; I believe that I get a tighter knot, with less damage to the line, when I do this.

I loves me knots.:smile2:

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Uni-knot 1st & Palomar 2nd, just as Gadzooks said when fishing with trebles especially doubles the Palomar can be a pain.

20. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Palomar is the strongest knot on the planet. No question. It becomes the strongest point of your line and like fishbrew said, it will NEVER break at the knot if tied right.