knots and circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jarhead, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jarhead

jarhead New Member

State:
    ohio
    does it make a difference what kind of knot i tie with a circle hook should i be snelling them does it matter i never gave it much thought until watching a tv show and they said u should snell them and run threw the eye because it will help with hook ups any truth

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes Josh you need to snell the hooks. I then use the palomar knot to tie to everything else.

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, snelling them is best for circles and imo the strongest.

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Snelling is the best for circles that have an up-turned eye...

If the eye is straight (a regular eye) then any quality fishing knot is going to work fine... palomar, trilene, improved clinch, etc.

5. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    any hook that has a turned up eye should be snelled,that is what the bend is for. and a straight eye you use any knot of your choice or like me just a double loop knot for some wiggle room. just like kyelkhunter said hope this helps....justin:cool2:

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I disagree.

How any hook hangs can be managed with a snell. Try it on a straight eye hook, first with the line exiting the eye on the back side of the hook, then on the front (bend) side.

Trotliners who hang their hooks with loop knots are obsessive about this seemingly small point.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I will only use straight eyed hooks. It makes a turn in the hook that acts as a extra trigger when the fish runs. Even though it's not in-line it still wont snap a the knot.

Lots of folks do it this way. Here is a pic of one for ya.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/JimmyJonny/2009/100_3266.jpg

Turned eyes work but IMO not as good a straight ones do.

-Jim-

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I'll go against the grain here. I use circles and don't snell my hooks. I use the palomar knot. I have not seen a lick of a difference between snelling and any other good strong knot. Not even if it's an upturn eye.

9. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I used to snell hooks years ago for my inshore fishing while visiting my uncle in Florida, they were straight eyed Mustad hooks. I didn't notice any better ratio in hook-ups. It was a bit faster to re-rig on the water, but not enough to make it worth the time I used to get the rigs ready. I use Gama Octopus Circle hooks and other hooks with up-turned eyes, and I just use a palomar knot now instead of snelling them. My hook-up ratio is still better than 90%, probably close to 94% or better.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree i have always used a polamar knot on everything and to me its the best, but i might learn how to snell just in case i want to try it out sometime.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never snelled a hook in my life. I use a palomar knot for everything. I only fish in the river and only use octopus circle hooks. I can't imagine snelling a 7/0 hook with #40 or 50# mono would have any advantage over the palomar knot. With a big chunk of cut bait on the hook moving around with the current, I feel the presentation is in no way affected by the knot.

12. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right or Wrong, I am moving to Fluorocarbon Leader and Snelled hooks this year. I wasn't having any trouble before, just thought it would be better.
    In the past it has always been the Palomar and the Trilene knot for me. I can always go back! LOL

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm like Josh - I've never snelled a hook other than just to practice tying one. The only hooks in my tackle box are Gama Octo Circles and I just tie palomars. Not saying it's right or wrong, just how I do things. I typically use braid even for my leaders and I don't like the way the loops in a snell would be right against the gap where the end of the eye meets the hook shank. That and I don't trust my snelling abilities to tie them at 3AM in the light of a headlamp:smile2: What I'm doing now is working, so unless there's some drastic fall of in hook up rates that changing bait sizes doesn't fix I probably won't be snelling hooks any time soon:wink:

14. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use gama octo circle hooks and I use snells and palomar knots. I have not noticed any difference in hookup ratios between the two. I trust both ways of tying a hook on.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Most knots I end up tieing work,,, I don't give a rip for circle hooks...:wink:

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

Agreed!! I use the palomar on circles and have at least a 98% hook up ratio with "BRAID", I use the berkley knot with 30-50lb MONO and circle hooks, I see no problems there either.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Snelling a hook merely takes out some of the variables. A good tight knot will keep a hook secured at the angle you cinched it down in. After dark or in a hurry this degree of angle isn't always straight. Sometimes it may be tilted forward , or maybe backward resulting in a missed hook set. Tying a snell assures you of the correct angle every time. Also a snelled knot never experience the heat caused by friction when cinching other types of knots. We all know that heat and kinks are natural enemy's to the integrity of out knots. I do every thing I can to get an edge on old mister catfish and making sure I eliminate every possible malfunction I can, will always be in my play book. :wink:

18. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    What he said, .....