Knot Lube

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Katmandeux, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Getting ready to tie up some rigs, and wondering about something other than spit to lube the knots when I pull them tight.

Would vegetable oil be okay, or would it degrade the mono? What about mineral oil?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've read that vegetable oil is good to use. I always use the ole reliable...Saliva.:smile2:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

3. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i wouldn't use mineral oil, i hear that it can mess your line up, will problably weaken ur knot

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use spit, its cheap :wink:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i would think if you use oil to lube you will play hello gripping the line to cinch it down i agree just slobber on it

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    What about Real Magic by Blakemore. Bill Dance uses it on line all the time.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How about a small container of just plain old water, or even better a water soaked sponge in a shallow container, that way it wont spill. It don't take much to lube the line so there won't be any friction when the knot is cinched up. I use the sponge trick when i tie flies or jigs to wet material like marabou, rabbit fur etc so it is not so fluffy and much easier to handle and when making up rigs and leaders.

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From http://www.flyfisherman.com/skills/lkknots/:
    "
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lubricating a knot with silicone, spittle, or water aids in properly closing it. But unless great care is taken when closing the knot, silicone will allow it to slip and fail. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gluing a knot with commercial knot glues makes them stronger and more durable" [/FONT]

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    How bout a little dish soap?

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use salive mainly,, Have thought about a little spray bottle with dish soap solution, if I could ever remember to bring one along..

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use spittle but just thought why not fish juice? A little scent might help.

12. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Some of us have a difficult time acquiring the fish juice...:smile2:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    wouldn't oil cause an odor that would potentially spook fish ,fish oil or the water you are fishin in would be best I would imagine:confused2:

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I use water when I'm tying alot of knots and sometimes when I'm tying one knot. Otherwise I use spit.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Any extra / forieghn scents could raise alarms and might affect yer fishin ... when possible tyin that knot I use the water from where I am fishen its all natural(LOL) Cheap as spit to!:roll_eyes:Them Kittys smell stuff better then a ole hound dog(LOL):big_smile_2:...sometimes I will use shad spray to-that YUM stuff but anykind of oil I believe might be not so good fer yer trip:wink:.......Just my two!

16. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I like the soap idea, slippery when wet and washes off when you start fishing. I've heard people talk about useing soap for bait. I use spit, old habits are hard to break.

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Well, you usually don't have to worry about running out of spit at a time of fast fishing! LOL

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I should have been more clear...when I asked the question, I was thinking about making rigs at home, on the bench.

I'm liking the soap idea muchly.

19. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    In that case, I'd just use a bowl of water, sponge with water, or a small spray bottle with water to do it. I'd make a board or hanger of some kind, tie up a bunch of rigs, but not snug the knots down. Then I'd spray all of the knots with the bottle, and snug them up one after the other. For me, that's better than tie, spray, snug, tie, spray, snug.....

20. wishrman

wishrman New Member

State:
    california
    If I start taking soap on my fishing trips my wife will really start to wonder:smile2:. All the same great Idea!!!!!!