Knot Help

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Cowtip, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    Hi Guys! I have a question about what kind of knot y'all use and like the most.
    Suppose you already have ur swivel and slip sinker tied on ur main line, what type of knot would u use to tie ur leader line to ur swivel that is ALREADY TIED TO UR MAIN LINE?? Thanks

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Improved clinch knot...it's about the only knot I use other than a few specialty knots.

Tight lines.

3. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    My favorite is the palomar knot. But since the swivel is on my main line already, i can't bring it back through the loop to tie it. :confused2:

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Make the leader 1st put it on your swivel with a palomar, then attach the swivel to the main line with a palomar just bring the whole leader through the knot that's how you can use that knot on every place ya tie:wink::big_smile:

5. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    A Palomar knot is very difficult to tie with a heavy leader. I use 60 lb floro leaders so an Improved Clinch knot works very well. If you are using lighter leaders, you can still use the Palomar, just attach the swivel to the leader first, then tie it to the mainline.

Tight lines.

6. Cowtip

Cowtip New Member

State:
    texas
    Very good advice! Thanks guys!

7. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i just go improved clinchknot on it all. if its good enough for the hook, then its good enough for the leader. ive used it all my life and it hasnt let me down so i guess ill stick with it.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    tie your leader on first to your swivel then tie your swivel leader and all to your mainline. just thread the swivel leader and all through. its a simple fix. its all in the order you tie it on and you can have a the know you want on all points...

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    welcome to the BOC by the way...

10. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    Prefer the improved cinch knot. It has given me no problems except when I tried Cajun line. I found all my knots were not dependable and would pull thru at times.

11. Cliffcat

Cliffcat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the same method as Big Sam. The palomar works good for most of those kinds of knot. The only exception is very heavy leader.

Like Sam said:

Tie the leader to the swivel first (palomar)

Tie the main line to the other end of the swivel (palomar). Even though there may be three feet of leader attached, it will still pull through and you will be just fine. Even if the leader already has a snelled hook on it, you can still tie the palomar (if you are careful).

If you were going to attach the hook with a palomar knot, now is the time to do it.

Yes, I still use the improved clinch knot for some stuff, but most testing results show that the palomar knot strength is greater.

Ralph

12. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I did a little lift test with some 80 lb leader line tied to a 50lb weight a couple years back. A friend and I tied every knot imagiable and the palomar was far superior to all of them we tried. Improved clinch was a close second.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Big Sam on this. I Snell my hooks and use the Palomar on everything else. Has always worked great.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That,s what I do too!:wink:

15. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
  16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    when i cant use palomar its usually the double uni knot. i experimented a little with the improved clinch last year but not enough to say if i liked it.

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've tested this too but what I found was that if the knot is tied correctly and pulled down tight, it will hold.

Every time I test knots, the knots themselves never break, the line itself goes first. I would like to know how people are testing knots ? how do you get the knot to break before the line.

I've asked this before but all the knot testing people never have a answer ; (

18. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
  19. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    yea i get the same result the line breaking before the knot does i dont thin i have ever seen my knots break just the line i use both palomar and improv cinch so anyone got an answer i also would like to see some of the replies

20. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Palomer Knots are the BOMB!!!:eek:oooh::eek:oooh: