knot-headed big lipped blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jlcperformance, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    im sure most of u guys r familiar with the "old style blue" (knot headed, big lipped, very dark blue) i have just always been curious as too why these fish look like this when most of the blues we catch nowadays r your typical light blue "white cat" as some ppl call them. just wanting to hear what some of you guys have to say about this. thanx jeff

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Our blues are light except during spawn time, then the darker color and bumps on the males appear. So basically they are spawning cats that you are seeing ; )

3. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i have caught one of these fish in late october so i dont think it was a spawning blue, catfish earl has a pic of a big one in the missouri thread ill see if he can move it to this thread.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've seen them dark but not with the knots on their heads....got me then on this one.

5. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    im sure somebody will have something to say about this....i wish i had a good pic to show you then maybe u would see what i am talking about.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've heard, and sounds logical to me, that their color is in large part affected by the area they inhabit. I've seen some really dark blues, almost black looking, some grayish in color, and some very light like the white ones you describe, all from the same river system.

I've never heard of blues getting knot-headed, but have seen male channel spawn-time cats with swelled heads that turn really dark.

7. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I remember stocking a pond once with hybrid channel/blue that they called bull channels or splitheads..Maybe thats what it was..They look exactly as you describe..

8. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    the ones im talking about have really big lips and they r really dark blue almost navy blue

9. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky

They really have a hybrid species of catfish? That's pretty sweet. I never heard of that before. You got any info on these fish?

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have seen some like that before too.I think those are the ones that are gonna grow to be monsters.

11. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    i cant believe more ppl havent seen a fish like this before. i was hoping somebody would know more about it.:eek:oooh:

12. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
  13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Hmm not sure personally about this.

14. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like an ALF to me(alien life form). Seriously, with the introduction of so many new invasive species I guess anything can be expected in crossbreeding. Interesting concepts though and worthy of research. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Spawn colors. Every breed of cat do that on the spawn.:wink:

16. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    If the hybridization occurs naturally there is usually an under lying reason. An example would be the water quality conditions can no longer fully support the two species so through natural selection they hybridize for self preservation of their species. When this occurs there will be dominant and recessive characteristics of each species. Each species would (I think) hope their characterisitics will be the dominate ones.

I'm no expert this is only a culmination of the things I have read over the years. Maybe a genetic scientist is on here and can explain this to all of us. Now I am an electrician so I can tell you how to wire up a light socket. LOL

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i know what hes talking about theres a lake that had been stoked with blues and channels, so is this a real blue or a hybrid like he said heres some pics

Attached Files:

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im not sure about catfish, but i do know that alot of the color that trout and bass have has to do with the depth at which they are staying. if you will notice when you catch even your blue gills and crappie. the deeper they are the less color they have. i'd say thats part of the cause.

19. jlcperformance

State:
    moberly, missouri
    the lake i caught the fish out of that looked like this was built in the late 60's and was built by damming up a small, small river. it was never stocked with blues at all. so therefore any blues that r in there would have to have been in that old river (which was part of the missouri river system) or somebody threw it in there. (doubtful but maybe) an old guy at the boat ramp told me that those were the way all the blue cats used to look 50 years ago. but i had a hard time believing this. maybe it is from the spawn but the only problem i have with that is the lips on this fish looked more like the ones on a flathead, really big with almost an underbite:eek:oooh: slikks fish looks similar to this but not as dark, but the one i caught was also only 3 lbs so go figure

20. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Well then apparently it was a spawning male channel cat..There lips do get swollen when they spawn...I've seen a lot of picks on here too where people thought a channel was a flat..