Knight M.L question.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by varmint_sniper, Nov 7, 2009.

1. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    hey yall iam getting a knight wolverine m.l in 50 cal in line comes with a 3-9-32mm simmons scope has anyone used this type of m.l and what load do you use? loose powder ,pellets, bullet weight? what is the best 209 primer out there ? this is a gift from a buddie of mine to me for helping hm out cant wait to use it hope to have it by ohio's gun season and what dist should i sight it in at? thax ya'll sniper

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    It's a good gun. I've got one of those too. I shoot loose powder, it's MUCH more economical than using any of the pellets.

I shoot 777 powder. I prefer the FFFg, but sometimes it's hard to find. Most people use FFg. The Wolverine can take loads up to 120gr of 777 loose powder, or three 50 grain 777 pellets. All loads are by volume, not weight. A 50 grain pellet doesn't equal 50 grains of loose powder. Pellets actually have around 33 grains of powder in them. So a three pellet load is really just under 100 grains of loose powder equivilant. Most accurate loads run between 80-100 grains of powder.

I like the Remington Kleen Bore muzzleloader 209 primers best, although a lot of people use the Winchester 777 primers (I had a lot of misfires with them, in several different guns. The Knight was NOT one of them though.).

As for bullets, any of the ones on the market are good to go for deer hunting. They will ALL perform very well. I like the Hornady or T/C XTP's the best, but the Shockwave/SST bullets are good too, and offer better long range potential. Same with the various Barnes bullets. These are the ones that you'll find at the local stores, Wal-Mart, Bass Pro, etc. If you shop on-line, the choices are staggering.

As for sighting in, it really depends on what ranges you are going to shoot. If you're not going to shoot past 100 yards, then go dead on at that range. If you want to stretch it out, then you'll be 3"-4" high at 100 yards. Knight's booklet has very good trajectory info for their guns with popular loads.

Yes, you can shoot 200 yards or more with an accurate gun/load/scope. Yes, it takes a TON of practice, and you HAVE to know your load's ballistics at the different ranges.

DO NOT just run enough shots through the gun to get it sighted in, then expect to go out and tag one at 225 yards. All muzzleloader projectiles are very sensitive to wind drift at extended ranges. Windage is a much harder issue to estimate and compensate for than elevation is.

3. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    thank you for the info helps out a lot

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got two of them. Shoot the best at 95 grs. of powder for me. Cant remember the bullit weight off hand but I believe it is 240 .

5. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    how well dose it do in snow and rain i mean with the red disc and a 209 primer in it dose it still go bang in rain and snow? was only thing that worried me when i see it was that it didnt lock up like my t/c omega did? i mean when you cock the bolt back the primer is exposed to the elements aint it ?

6. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    209 primers are waterproof. The red jacket seals the nipple from moisture, and the primers fit in the jacket very tightly, so they're sealed from that end too. Most waterproof gun you can get.:wink:

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    No problems in the rain. Have never had a misfire.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know if its true but i heard a rumor that knight was belly up.guy at tackel box sporting goods in fort smith arkansas told me i better buy myself all the spare parts i could find cause there aint gonna be no more.

9. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Knight is owned by a larger conglomerate of corporations. They have stopped production on rifles at this time, due to market conditions. They still have the service department available for repairs and they still have parts available too.

10. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The way there web site reads they are done making and selling rifles for good.

http://www.knightrifles.com/

An Important Message from Knight Rifles

We would like to thank all of our loyal customers: past, present and future. Knight Rifles is no longer producing or selling any guns. However, we will continue to produce and sell parts and accessories for your Knight Rifles. We plan to continue in this role for the foreseeable future.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Knight made great Muzzleloaders and gave Thompson the kick in the seat of their pants that they needed to develop a good modern inline the consumer wanted, hence the omega and encore. I like the knights but always though that red cap that envelopes the 209 primer a big pain in the drain. Sold my knight and got an encore, (big mistake) as I am now addicted to encores and keep buying barrels like they were candy mints. 308, 243, 209 x 50, 300 whisper. Anyone have a 223 they want to get rid of?:big_smile:

12. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    Oh, they've changed that it said from earlier this summer. It's a shame, really. I've had 7 Knight's and they all shot superbly. I've only had two T/C that performed as well. One was an Omega Z5 and the other was a Black Diamond.