knife sharpening

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by big corey, Jan 14, 2008.

1. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    any tips on a good way to sharpen a knife something
    that is farely easy and works good all my knives are dull

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Corey,I have a Smith's sharpening system ,its just like a Lansky ,but cheaper. Either one will give you a very good edge and thier also foolproof .

3. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that sounds like the one were did you get it

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I bought my Smiths at Walmart,I think the Lowe's home improvement sells the Lansky and they are available from gander mountain ,Cabelas an Bass pro I'm sure

5. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've used the Smith's kit for years with no problems. A friend of mine is a butcher and he gave me this tip...after using the sharpening and honing stones he told me to finish up the process by rubbing the knife edge back and forth over a rolled up newspaper. This really does put the finishing touch on an edge.

Mike

6. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    From what I've seen a good ole wetstone works the best, but takes some getting used to. The smith system works good too.

7. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Wetstone has worked for me for a long time.

8. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you don't want to go out and buy a whole kit, theres always just a simple Arkansas wet stone, get some oil/water on it, whatever it says is better for that stone on the packaging and just hone it at about a 35-40 degree angle.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Arkansas stones are some of the best honing stones that you will find anywhere. They come in different coarseness, coarse, medium, and fine. If your knives are really that dull you would want to start on a coarse stone or it will take you forever to get it sharp on a medium or fine stone. Some of the easiest stones to use nowadays is the diamond honing stones. They take diamond dust and imbed it into metal to make a stone. They work really well and fast even on dull knives, but, they take away a little more metal off the blade. If a knife is really dull I use a really coarse stone. A coarse stone works good to reestablish your bevel on the blade and will also help take out knicks and burrs in the blade. Then I move to a medium blade which will finish fixing the bevel and start sharpening the blade. Then I will finish with a ceramic stone. The ceramic stone will put a keen edge on the knife and will really polish the blade to a razor sharp edge. If you want it any sharper than that you will have to put it on a leather strop. You can find any kind of stone you decide on at knifedepot.com

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I buy and sell salvage. last fall i got several samurai shark knife sharpers (the one sold on tv). I recently tried the last one i had. wish i had kept more. It is the quikest and easiest sharpener i have found.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    for the longest time i used a gerber 3 sided stone. i finally wore the medium grade stone down to nothing, then the other two. i just got a coarse diamond stone from a local knife shop. you don't use much pressure on them, as they do take a lot off the knife's edge, but they do work in a hurry and put on a good edge. i use about a 20 degree angle, since most of the work with a blade i do is filleting, skinning and cutting leaders. the larger degree angle on a blade seems to dull up faster than a narrower angle. also, once you get in the habit of using a stone, you can hear the blade and how much is being ground off. the quieter it gets, the closer you are. i start at 10 strokes, then 5, then 3, then 1 stroke to finish. i use a leather gun belt for a strop, that completes the edge, or the rolled up newspaper works too. the whole process doesn't take 5 minutes once you get good at it. it can be kind of frustrating when you are first learning, especially with a knicked and very dull blade. but keep after it, you'll be a pro in no time.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you've got a car or pickup, you've already got a great knife sharpener, they come installed at the factory. If it's already got an edge cut and needs to be re-sharpened, then use the top edge of your door window. It sharpens as good or better than a ceramic stone stick! It's got microscipic pieces of sand melted into the glass and works like an ultra fine diamond hone. I've been using mine for years and you can't see any wear on it. It works great when hunting or fishing and you need a quick edge if your filet or skinning knife goes dull in the middle of a job.

Unless I've got one that is so dull I need to cut an edge, then that's all I use anymore. I just try to not let them get so dull that the complete edge dissapears. If I get a nick or chip in the blade, then I will use a course stone to get a new edge, but use the window for final polish.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.

I have heard this before, but have never tried it. I've also heard that the bottom edge of a coffee mug works well, but have not tried that either.
    I have a coarse and a fine Arkansas that I use.

14. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    the car window sounds wacky enough to work, ill have to give it a try someday. i use both diamond and natural stones. the later does better but isnt as fast. never use oil. always water and lots of it. if you get an old wetrock "loaded up" you can clean it by leaving it in the fork basket in your dishwasher for a week or two- just leave it in there along with the routine dishwashing. use a good quality chef's steel in between rock sharpenings- blades will last much longer. avoid steel or carbide V sharpeners as all they do is rip off steel from the blade. ceramic V stick sharpeners i guess are okay in a pinch... i wont use them. along the car window thing got me to remember i was once told to use welding rods... waste of time for sure.

15. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use diamond stones, you can get a knife real sharp real fast. I would have to say a quality knife is easier to sharpen because of higher quality steel.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have a outdoor edge guthook,it`s a very good knife and easy to sharpen.Has anybody else tried Outdoor Edge knives ?

17. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The thicker the blade the harder it is to keep a good angle. A fillet knife is pretty thin and sharpens quickly but a thicker blade will end up with "rounded" angles if you don't keep the same degree.