Knife sharpening

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Believer, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Ok, guys and gals, what are your suggestions? Crock sticks, oil hones, diamond hone? Help me out please.:big_smile:

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    paper wheels. You'll never get a sharper edge than on a good paper wheel.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have a set similar to the Lansky system, Blademaster, I think it was marketed by Frost Cutlery. It does a great job, & been really happy wth it.
    It clamps the knife & you place it in a holder, then run the stones with a angle guide rod attached, to get the correct an even degree of angle on the blade edges. It's really fast with the diamond hones. But the upside is really having an edge that will hold up.
    With this system the hones are moved over the stationary knife instead of the knife over the hone.

Also another tip for ya, when ya oil a stone it just packs itself dirty. If I use a standard sharpening stone, I do not oil it. It's supposed to be abrasive an cut metal. Then just wipe off the residue with a soft cloth.
    :big_smile:

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I can guarantee that the best way to get a knife sharp is to not let me sharpen it!

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would agree with Gary bootshowl, Ive used Lansky products before and they would put a monster sharp edge on it.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I can relate to that! :embarassed:

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Eric,
    Here is a link to a site that has the paper wheels, I have been using them for years, and flat out LOVE them!

Paper Wheels

8. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
  9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When your done with the fine stones, use the leather on your boot. You will have an edge to shave with.

Another thing to use is the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug. That will really polish it fine.

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    3000 RPM and a knife. What could go wrong?
    :big_smile:

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never was real good at sharpening knifes.
    There was a man around my area that sharpen knifes. I would take him several at one time. He didn't charge much. That man could sharpen a knife in no time and it would keep its edge.
    Sure wish he was still around.

I ended up getting the same thing as bootshowl.
    It works for me.
    Once edge is on. I keep a long piece of ceramic tube hanging in kitchen and hit knife a lick now and then to keep the edge on. It was given too me and came from an industrial light fixture.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Guess it depends on the knife to be sharpened, and the condition of the blade to begin with. At work, all I use is a 3 sided oil stone, and a steel. The stone removes material, while the steel maintains the edge. I use the steel alot, and rarely use the stone.

13. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    :smile2::smile2:

14. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    it depends on what i am going to use the knife for if i am filleting fish i use a drag through carbite sharpener u can get them at about any hardware store for about 6 bucks and also if you r deboneing any thing and don't mind useing softer steel blade the carbite sharpener works well but for my skinning knivesi use a arkansas oil stone with some kind of cutting oil like what u buy for taping or drilling and when the stone gets full of debris run it though the old lady's dish washer there is my 2 cents worth

15. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I use a drag though sharpener with carbide and porcelain sharpening bits in it. That puts a good edge on the knife, then I finish the edge with the leather on my boot.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a lansky look a like ,works great on all my sharpening needs .

17. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I love my Lansky system. Plus there made in my home town.:eek:oooh: Seriously, they work great.

18. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    wet stone and water, or go to wal-mart an get th rapala knife sharpener for under $4.00. u will have a knife sharp enuff to shave with. promise.

19. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    My granddaddy was nice enough to teach me how to sharpen a knife with anything.I liked Arkansas oil stones for years(I have one that an old guy cut from rock behind his house)till I used a diamond,it's a lazy way to sharpen a knife and I like that.

20. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I may have to give those a try, the man who I always had sharpen my knives past away this year. He used some kind of emory cloth belts freehand and then finished with a polishing wheel and in about 2 minutes they were shaving sharp and long lasting.

thanks
    mike