Knife Sharpeners

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jailcop2, Dec 20, 2008.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Who makes the best knife sharpeners , I'm not all that impressed with my Lansky Sharpener and have been looking into another system . Wicked Edge looks good' but pricey. Whats your opinion.
    Thanks
    Brian

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago [maybe 6-7] I got a small yellow plastic one at Lowe's that has a carbide V on one side and a ceramic V on the other. It cost maybe 4 bucks and is the best sharpener I have ever owned.

I have looked and have not seen them again. If I did, I would have them in my camper, boat and every glove compartment on the place. It does an excellent job.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Arkansas stones are the best you can get and you can get them in different grit and they will last forever but I have found that for really getting a final razor sharp edge on a knife ceramic is the best to finish the edge on a knife. I have sharpened knives for many years and have people at work bring me their knives to sharpen all the time and I have come to depend on a ceramic stone or stick to put a razor sharp edge on a knife.

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When you are done with the ceramic stone, finish it polishing it on your work boot. Boy will that give a pocket knife a razor edge.

Crocus cloth will really polish them up too.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Hey Jim I would bet money that was a Smith Sharpener and you can get them at Gander Mountain for 4 bucks.I also agree they are the best I have used.Just do not let 1 of your buddies sharpen his 5 dollar Magic Mart knife on it :eek:oooh:

Oh by the way the ones at Gander Mtn are green.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I have never used an Arkansas stone, but I believe they do a good job. I use a water stone. Just because its easier for me. I got a 1000/6000 grit stone, but they also come in 7000 and 8000 grit. 8000 will make it shiny enough to be a mirror. I can normally shave hair off my arm after sharpening my swiss army knife.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used to use the ole wet stone,Still do every great now and then. I bought a Smith's {lansky imitation] and never looked back.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You are right, mine has Smith on it.

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
  11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have looked at the Apex system ,Wicked Edge, TriAx , all high dollar stuff ,but I was thinking of starting a little buisness . Will be going in the 1st week of Jan to have part of my panrceas and spleen taken out and make sure there is no cancer and will be off for awhile and would like something to do to not feel completley useless. Anyone have some tricks to get a consistant angle when using a bench stone ???????

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,Best of luck to you with the surgery. I remember many years ago there was a wedge shaped tool with rollers on it that you clamped onto your blade and it would keep a constant angle. I cant remember who made it though.

13. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Also if you look around the flea markets you may be able to find 1 of the older Schrades that came with a stone and guide,or just make you a few for different blades.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Jim, that little yellow Smiths is all I have used for two years. I too have tried every gimmick in the book, but none do better than the little yellow one with both steel & ceramic.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use the smith's for touch up. I use my Lansky to start over. Great Sharpener. I buy cheap work knives and work them down to butter knives and use the Lansky to re-set them.

16. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Here is everything you need. Forget about ceramics and wet stones,diamonds are the only stone you will ever need.

I have used a medium/fine for many years to dress up carbide cutters and the stone still performs perfect and will always stay flat.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-C24.aspx

17. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Which one do you use?

18. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Get a chefs choice 3 stage sharpener and you will be able to keep pocket knives, fillet knives, hunting knives etc... sharp at all times with ease and very little time spent. Cost is over $100 now but it is well worth the investment.