Knife sharpener

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Dull Hook, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Dull Hook

Dull Hook New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What's the opinion on Chefs Choice knife sharpners. I have a friend that has one. He said, they work excellent, and likes his..but, won't let me use it to see how it does. I hate to buy one and not like it for my knives. I suppose I just want the smaller/cheeper one? I know, you can spend a lot of money on the higher end ones. Anyone ever buy this type and any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What kind of friend is that? Won't let you use his knife sharpener! All most all knife sharpening tools are ok. Most problems come along with the users,lol Never be in a hurry, and try to be nice to your blade when using it. Don't cut wire or open tin cans or drive screws. lol :sad:

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

aaahhhh man :embarrassed_2:

You take away ALL the fun!!! :tire:

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I use a sharpener similar to a Lansky. It is a small vice that has 'wings' that guide the stones at the correct angle. I like it a lot. From what I remember, it was about $20 at Wally World.

No experience with the one you are asking about though.

I have to agree, a friend that will not let you test his knife sharpener??? See if he'll sharpen your knife for you? Watch what he does and decide if that's what you want...:confused:

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Rollex to Arkansas Tri Stone to steele, I've used them all. I started out using an old whet stone my grandfather used on his pocket knife. I was terrible. Then somebody made a little wheel you put your knife in and roll it back and forth on each side. I mastered that so I bought about a dozen of them. I've still got a few never opened the package. Then I started trapping. Racoon, muskrat, fox and my buyer introduced me to the tri-stone. After I caught on to using stone I thought I had mastered sharpening. Then my brother-in-law gave me a steele. That was it, no more dull knives in the house. About once a week mother dumps out her selection of candidates and about 1/2hr.-45mins were good to go again. With a steele the secret is don't let them get dull before you hit em again. I believe the stones put a longer lasting sharp on your knives, but the steele is quicker.
    Don

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I still like the old way....I use a wet stone all the time, old fashioned but still consistant with the best.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Although just a little spendy the tri stone is the ticket once you master how to use it. once a knife becomes dull and by useing the steel dosent help go to the stone.I have been cutting meat for a living now for 40 years and that is how I learned to sharpen one.A tri stone is a sharpning device that has three stones attached in a trangular fashion one being a fine grade stone one being a medium grade stone and the last being a corse stone. It has a round handle on both ends and it sets down in a oblong container that has or should have oil in it and every time you turn it oil is placed on the next stone thus the name tri or wetstone.be careful when useing one as you can cut yourself. If you were to look at a knife under a magnafing glass you would see that it looks somewhat like a saw blade and when its sharp the teeth are ligned up straight and as you use it the teeth get more out of line as the knife becomes duller. now the true purpose of the steel is not to sharpen the knife but to aligan the teeth on the knife back up straight. the steel is magnatized,go ahead and put something like a table spoon down and touch it with your steel and you will see that it the steel will try and lift it. So as your knife starts to get dull by useing the steel it will alline the teeth back straight again but once a knife gets dull enought and the steel won"t bring it back you have to sharpen it on the stone again. Good luck and good fishing Bigcatman0816.

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    John is your Tri stone in a big green metal box? Great articulation on functions of each sharpener. I agree 100% nothing like a stone to put an edge on a knife. That was my brother-in-laws occupation for about 25 years. He started cutting in a small town in Illinois, then moved to California and went to work for Keno's. He moved up here and worked for them until they closed up. He never carried a sharp knife except at work. I really enjoyed the read. Thank You!:smile2:
    Don

9. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    John, any recomendations on the best tri stone to get? After I read your post, I checked eBay and there are quite a few there.....I'm sure some better than others. Which would you recomend and where to buy. Thanks for the great advice.

10. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
  11. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There was another I wanted to mention, but had a brain-fart until now. It's called Dunn "Sharpening System". I haven't personally used one, but watched a guy put an edge on a knife in about a minute that would almost cut you looking at it! Matter of fact, I have one of these on my "Wish List" .

http://www.dunnknives.com/services/sharpening.php

Smitty

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The chefs choice is what I have used for the last 10 years and if it ever quits me I will buy another one just like it.I use it for my pocket knives fillet knives and hunting knives. It does a fantastic job and saves me alot of time. 777