Knee Replacement?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BIG GEORGE, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The Mrs. is goin in on April 4th for a new one. Was wonderin if any members have had this procedure done. Lookin for some pointers and tips on what she should expect. That and what I should expect. LOL! Do I need to move out for a few weeks? LOL!
    THANX!

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    My dad got a new knee last year and is doing great. My Neighbor out back is doing great too. I hear women do better with it and heal faster. A few months and she'll be out moving you again. Good Luck!

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    George,

The only thing you have to worry about is the Mrs. seeing this thread... cause she will wear out that new knee, kickin you up and down the street. :0a5:

4. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Craddock1 is a member, He had both knees replaced. He can tell you first hand how it is.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    George, I had my left knee replaced in Dec. '99, and don't regret it a bit, although I had my doubts for the first month or so. LOL I suffered for almost 20 years with mine after I initially tore it up, went through about 7 or 8 different surgical procedures over the years, but when those knees get painful enough, there won't be much second-guessing the procedure. It is major surgery, and it takes time to recuperate, of course. Above all else, the physical therapy is most crucial to a quick recovery. I've seen a few people who aren't willing to put an effort into their recovery and it can really slow things down. This surgery is done pretty much routinely nowadays, but again it is a major operation. Your wife will need someone to wait on her for a while after she comes home, but she will probably be getting around the house on her own within a few days.
    Best of luck to her.

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Black water hit the nail on the head trust me I work in Physical Therapy and have over the years seen quit a few Total knees done. The only other advise I could give you is that if see needs both knees down have them both done at the same time. My Pnts. that have had them done one at a time dont seem to do as well as a Pnt. that has them done at the same time...... It will be painful and she will need allot of help at first but stick to the protocol that is laid out and make sure that she follows the routine exactly. Remember this as well scare tissue can be a problem if not taken care of. Scare tissue is nothing more than the layers of skin forming back together in an irregular pattern this can be overcome by using coco butter lotion and rubbing the scares. Once healed if you feel little bumps that feel like pea's under the skin of the scare this is scare tissue forming you will want to rub those out. I tell my Pnts. to rub the scares every time they think about it until they are gone then 5 min later rub them again eventually they will not come back but it takes time and it is painful. The best way to do this is to use your knuckles and rub the scare.
    Now a days most people do very well with a total knee replacement and recover quickly. Oh a good way to be able to get a Straight leg raise is not to try and make it happen(In other words dont wish or think it to happen) You know how to do it without thinking about it. Just a tip if you need anything feel free to email me and I will help you and your wife all that I can.

7. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Had my right total knee done in 1991.Wore that one out in 2002.Second one was a lot easier to get used to_Only was laid up two days.The newer materials they use nowdays is so much better.Still ca'nt kneel on it with full pressure,but small price for what iI had gone through before I had the original surgery.Dr. tells me that the left knee is about ready to be replaced soon.When I'm ready for that one I will have it without any qualms.Just tell her to follow the Dr.'s orders and do'nt miss any visits to the trerapist,and she will be in good shape.

BILL

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    George, my dad and ex father-in-law both had both knees replaced. altho it was very painful for them, excruciating for dad, they both said they would go thru it again. the increased mobility made it all worthwhile

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my mom just had one done 12 weeks ago and she is now walking with a walker. doctor says she is doing ok. for the first 6 weeks I had to push her everywhere in the wheelchair. this is not to be taken likely, someone will have to do almost everything for her. moms rehab is at home 3 times a week and will continue for 2 more weeks. a nurse comes 2 times weekly and once a week for the first month a woman came to help mom get a bath. most doctors don't tell everything before the operation but afterwards they will tell you it is 2 or 3 times more diffcult than a hip replacement. I cook for mom and keep her pain free with meds, you will need to really think about what they will need or want as I have found they feel bad for asking for something, just think about how you would feel if for 1 month you couldn't even yourself into the bathroom without help or even get a drink of water.

as for the good this knee replacement has great results most of the time. although mom is using a walker she can walk the entire kroger store and she couldn't do it before. mom sees her doctor again 2 weeks and we think she will be off meds and allowed to walk freely as much as she wants.

Hope this information helps and good luck to you and yours

Danny

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Big George: One more thing mom is 74 and although she has always been active her recoupe time could have something to do with her age, I just don't know.

Danny

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    She will do just fine George!!! I know several folks that have had this done and they say they would do it again but alot sooner!!!

PS>>>> Make sure they put a good grease fitting in it, cause you don't want it squeaking all the time when you are out fishing, LOL!!!

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    George, my dad had both of his done at the same time a few years ago.
    He left the hospital in 4 days and never went to physical therapy.
    2 weeks later he was walking without a walker although he shouldn't have been.
    I think alot of it is in mindset. You'll have a rough time of it if you come home and hit the recliner as opposed to coming home and working at recovery.
    Today, my dad will out work most 18 year olds at the age of 68.

I basicly did the same thing with my back surgery. Within 3 days I was walking a 1/2 mile on the farm . Within a week I was walking 1 mile in the morning and 1 mile in the evening, After the 3rd week I was hiking around the farm at a pace I could live with.
    I took 3 months off of work and devoted that time to healing and getting my strength back.

If she lets dust light on her, she'll have a hard row to hoe.