Knee Joint Replacement

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Pip, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Figured I'd throw this out there and see if anybody has went through this. I've been putting it off for the last couple years. But it's getting to the point i'm going to have to get it done. Heading to the Doctors Monday to get the ball rolling. had My knee scoped 4 years ago and after the precedure the Dr. made it known then that it was only a matter of time and I'd be looking for a new knee joint the next time it needed cut.

I know joint replacement is getting pretty common nowadays with the medical advancements and all. Guess I've been putting it off because of the unknown, specifically the limitations once it is done. But it's time to get it taken care of I reckon. Kind of putting a kink in my fishing and work activities among other things. The cortizone shots aren't working anymore. Shoot, even the hydrocodone with a vodka chaser has run it's course to no effects anymore.

it's a B*tch when you start getting old:smile2:

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    myself i havent had anything done but have known plenty of people that have had knee replacement , they said they wish they had it done sooner instead of putting it off , everyone is different as far as recovery time so in my opinion you should be good to go after you have it done, my old boss had it done and was back to work 2 weeks later light duty of course if there is such a thing as light duty in home remodeling lol but i couldnt believe he was back that soon

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    My Mom had this done and she was up and running so to speak that day. You do not sit around at all they exersize the joint that day. My Mom seems pretty impervious to pain though so I can say how much it hurt but she said it was a little uncomfortable LOL (by the way my Mom is 75)

4. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hope it works for you Pip. I had mine scoped when I was 15. That wasnt too bad. Im sure it wont keep you down for long!:wink::smile2:

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Pip, it sure will feel better after you have it done. My mom has had both hips done TWICE.
    But she's a very unusual case. Hope you get it done and feel better soon.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike, I really hope it works out good for you, and you come out of it feelin better than ever. Good luck to ya. :big_smile:

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had my left knee replaced almost 10 years ago, and it's well worth it, if you need it replaced. When the time comes, as you well know, nobody will have to tell you; you will know. :big_smile:

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My grandpa had his left done a year ago and right one 2 years ago. He is about 65 and it still gives him alot of trouble. He seems to still be in a considerable amount of pain and gets around very slowly. It is better than before the surgery because he could barely get out of a chair let alone walk around. His knees are very stiff and still slightly swollen. He is also diabetic so I am not sure if this slows the healing process. I hate seeing him in such a weak state...he is the strongest, hardest working man I know. Do your homework and take in to consideration any health issues you may have that would hamper the healing process. Good luck to you sir and please keep us posted.

9. rgrshadow

rgrshadow New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I had my knee replaced 18 months ago and it was the best decision. It was worn out for seven years before I decided I had enough. You must exercise after the procedure and it took about 2 months before I could say I was glad I had it done. We went hiking in the Rockies 1year after the surgery and everything worked fine. I am so glad I had it done - It restored my way of life. The only limitation is no running or jumping. I would highly recommend having it done. I am 59 years old.

rgrshadow.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good luck Mike!

My wife has osteoarthritis in both knees. She gets the rooster comb (Hyalgan) injections about every 9 months. Her rheumatologists gives the 5 shots, a week apart, in each knee. She says as long as the injections work so well, she will never have knee surgery. I don't think the Hyalgan injections work for all people.

Guess for my age I'm fortunate, for I can still fast walk 3 miles every day.

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The Mrs. had it done about 4 years ago. She swears by it. For goodness sakes. Get it done so you are god to go come cold weather. :wink:

12. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks for the reply's. it's been on my mind since the last surgery, but with the knee getting to the point it is now. It's time to.... Get-R-Done.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my mom had a double knee replacement just this past january and it was about a 3 month recovery time for her (she's 62), after the surgery she had to spend about 10-12 days in a physical rehab. and walk with a walker for a few weeks but she's glad she got her's done

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    have known people that had it done and swear by it. recently had a fake ligament put in and the people that had knee replacements were in less physical pain than i am and were able to get to moving around fairly soon. all of the people mentioned were in there 60's and 70's as well. seems like the healing time is way ahead of something like i had done. i would say go for it.

15. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Man I know what you mean I'm in the same boat.Know it needs to be done but just don't want too.