Kite fishing

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by mte, Oct 16, 2009.

1. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Has anyone tried or given any thought to using kites for catfishing? They uses them all the time in saltwater and on the great lakes.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I have given thought to using kites for surf fishing, but not for catfish. There is a skill level there that must be acheived to tack cross wind and even against the wind that is hard (for me at least) to acheive. Keeping the bait at a controlled depth would be a problem too in my estimation. If you give it a go May I be the first to sincerely wish you good luck. :big_smile:

Ray

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    in my neck of the woods there would be non real need to use something like a kite. however i dont see why it wouldn't work if you had the room/need for one. just something else to treck over the hill with i reckon. i will be the second to wish you luck.....

4. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I wasn't so much thinking of using the kite the way they do when fishing for sailfish and stuff but merely using the kite to carry your bait out to the distance you wanted and pulling it free.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

maaan imagine the looks youd get doin that :smile2: its b ad enough showin up on the bank with a 10 ft heavy action rod flingin 8 oz bait

6. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    maybe that would be a good idea, but the way i see it if i can't cast there then i will have a hard time reeling one in from out there, so i dont need to be there.

when i was a kid, dad used to connect a kite to a surf rod and thats how we would bring it in or let it out. i dont know why i feel the need to share that but kinda goes along with this all...

let me know how you do and what kinda looks you get, i think jeffro is onto something...

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

:smile2: or on something...

8. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Dayam...never heard of sucha thang. Sounds kinda cool but I could see how it would be a pain in the arss. :cool2:

9. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I love that idea. So, now when my wife tells me to "Go fly a kite" I can go fishing. Man, I'm there.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    i watched a show the other day about a coastal tribe who uses their resources intelligently. theres a needle fish or something almost like a baby gar with sharp teeth. what they do is collect this certain spiders web, ball it up, and kite fish with it. then the fishes teeth get snared in the web, the kite drops, and voila.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i wouldn't be shocked :wink: :wink:

12. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

Good thought. Some type of clip release? Would probably work.

Ray

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I was checking out kite fish back a month or two and there are folks that do it quite extensively from the beaches.... mostly salt water... but sure seems that if the wind is right its a way to get out to where you want the bait...

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I see a lot of snarled lines in this setup.I think I,ll just stick to casting!:roll_eyes:

15. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    If your looking for casting distance,I heard some hardcore surf fisherman in Delaware use those pvc "potato guns"They say they work well and you wouldn't have to mess with all the lines.I don't know if a live sunfish, would like to be shot out of a small cannon:eek:oooh:

16. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I like the potato gun idea,would give me an excuse--- Honestly officer I was just casting,not my fault that jetskier got right in the way.-- how could they fault me for that?

Actually I have no need to fish farther away than what I can cast,but I would like to know how they get around the hhock of the bait,hook,and weight,when it is fired out and starts to pull off line and the huge backlash I can see it causing,maybe with a spinning reel,but they don't hold that much line.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to drift a ballon out if the wind was blowing the right direction anyway and yank it loose?

17. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Goggle potato gun fishing or sling shot fishing,there are a ton of youtube videos on the subject(probably kite fishing too,didn't check)Here's one on the potato gun laucher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTZ8zfRk440

18. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I think that one of the advantages of kite fishing rather than using the balloon is that you can tach a kite cross-wind thus giving you more latitude with wind direction.

Ray